NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Yamaha question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Yamaha question

Was running yesterday when my oil alarm went off. My bad knew it was low but forgot to fill it. Anyway always carry plenty of extra oil. My buddy says he'll take care of it. Dumps in 2 gal and off I go. Alarm goes off again. Look at my buddy and said you put the oil in right, yep he says. Strart em up and off I go. 2 min later alarm goes off again. Now I say show me what you did. Turns out he put 2 gal in 1 tank and none in other. My bad again I should alway check my own stuff. No problem always carry extra oil. Took out my 3ed (emergency) extra gal. and put in the other tank. Not Yamalube but still 2 stroke oil. Anyway alarm goes off every 10 to 25 min all the way home. Each time I turn it off check things. No temp. alarm, everything seems fine. Start it up run another 10 to 25 min. and alarm goes off again. Any body got any ideas on what this might be. Sticky float switch in tank? I hate laying the boat up this time of year. Marinas are real busy, Any input would be apprecicated.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Yamaha question

Float could be stuck or maybe you got some air in the oil line....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Site Sponsor

Yeah air was what I 1st thought. I ran her for about 90 min on the was in. Would think the line would have cleared by then. Starboard tank kind of gets in the way of getting to the port one. I'll have to pull it out to get at the Float. Not something I've done before but I'll try to figure it out. Time is not something I have the luxury of having a lot of. Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Site Sponsor

Ha seadog i had the same problem with my oil alarm when i mix other band to my oil. I had to take everything apart and clean it. and there is a filter in there to change. clean all lines with parts cleaner and blow it clean. after one season i had to replace the oil pump. Make sure you clean the sender and filter. It crazy that it happen to you too. What motor do you have a might have some extra things for it. My outboard boat is for sale and now i have inboards. Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Site Sponsor

Thanks gents. Forgot to mentention motors are 2000 Yamaha 150 HP HPDI.