NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

conventional reels - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-23-2022, 09:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default conventional reels

I'm looking for a nice reel for blackfish. Going to pair with a century pro togger rod. Are there any reels out there that don't feel like a coffee grinder? Thanks
Old 06-26-2022, 11:09 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: conventional reels

I have several old model and 1 newer model Shimano thorium perfect bottom fish reels. 732 710 7678
Old 06-26-2022, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

SALTIGA - HANDS DOWN

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Avet SX G2, Maxell hybrid 25, . just all depends on how much you want to spend. best bet is to take your rod with you to tackle shop and feel different reels out
Old 06-27-2022, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Go see Pete at Atlantic Bait and Tackle. He will help you out
Old 06-27-2022, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jigmaster jr. or Squidder jr. If you can find one.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:31 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin2009 View Post
Avet SX G2, Maxell hybrid 25, . just all depends on how much you want to spend. best bet is to take your rod with you to tackle shop and feel different reels out
Great advise right there... You have a high quality and lightweight rod so you want the same type of reel so it balances well on the rod. That's something you need to feel in your hands and mounted on the rod.

In addition to some of the reels mentioned above, you might want to consider checking out some of the lightweight low profile bait casters designed for saltwater use with higher drag capacity like the Daiwa Lexa or the Abu Revo. Since it's a tog set up you don't want the high speed versions and if you keep the whole set up nice and lightweight, you can use it for fishing heavier sinkers and bait as well as lighter jigs.

I would also recommend a power handle and if the reel you choose doesn't come standard with one, you can get them aftermarket or from the reel vendor.

Take your time here since you don't want to tie that race horse rod to a reel that's designed for a farm plow.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 06-27-2022 at 05:32 PM..
Old 06-27-2022, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Gerry hits on some great advice, but let me jump in a bit.
I prefer a Diawa Saltiga 15 on my ProToggers. These reels both have great handles out of the box. Ive pushed these reels and damaged them, so if anyone suggest lighter, we’ll? They’ll do fine but big fish will break stuff.
The newer Maxel Hybrid 25 is a nice choice as welll. 50 lb braid and you’ve got one hell of a Tog rig rod! I’m fishing a 10oz and a big white crab most often when Togging and this outfit has light weight, Incredible feel and power for days, even on huge fish. But it was never designed to be a jig rod. That’s why we made The ProJigger! Century blanks are different and special, but my rod is balanced PERFECTLY for fishing a slack line. Every tiny detail and the highest quality components were addressed before we put my name on our factory build.
I hope it catches you big fish! Best of luck with it and send me pics!
Old 06-27-2022, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the great advise guys. Now I have something to chew on.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:28 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mihalic View Post
Gerry hits on some great advice, but let me jump in a bit.
I prefer a Diawa Saltiga 15 on my ProToggers. These reels both have great handles out of the box. Ive pushed these reels and damaged them, so if anyone suggest lighter, we’ll? They’ll do fine but big fish will break stuff.
The newer Maxel Hybrid 25 is a nice choice as welll. 50 lb braid and you’ve got one hell of a Tog rig rod! I’m fishing a 10oz and a big white crab most often when Togging and this outfit has light weight, Incredible feel and power for days, even on huge fish. But it was never designed to be a jig rod. That’s why we made The ProJigger! Century blanks are different and special, but my rod is balanced PERFECTLY for fishing a slack line. Every tiny detail and the highest quality components were addressed before we put my name on our factory build.
I hope it catches you big fish! Best of luck with it and send me pics!
Well there you go some great advice from Frank who inspired and designed this rod. Thanks for contributing this valuable insight Frank.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area