NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake hopatcong - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Lake hopatcong

Hey newbie here on the ice. Was thinking of heading out with my 8 year old son on Sunday to drill some holes. Figure I'd leave from Dows. I know there's a contest, I don't think we are ready lol but if I get there at 11 will I be able to find a spot to fish? Any advice on which way to go or what to look for is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lake hopatcong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1234 View Post
Hey newbie here on the ice. Was thinking of heading out with my 8 year old son on Sunday to drill some holes. Figure I'd leave from Dows. I know there's a contest, I don't think we are ready lol but if I get there at 11 will I be able to find a spot to fish? Any advice on which way to go or what to look for is appreciated.
You’ll find a spot no doubt. Just make sure you keep a safe distance from others, lol. Sunday’s weather is starting to look a little sketchy. Possibly a rainy weekend which just isn’t ideal conditions for ice fishing. I’m sure the ice is safe in most spots but there are spots near docks and banks that have open water. I’d try somewhere smaller or where there are other anglers present. But again, keep your eye on the weather. Good luck and be safe!!! Let us know how you do if you get out!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I am also a newbie on the ice and went out for my first time earlier this year (I also accessed ice from Dows and it was ideal). With that said, I quickly realized that ice fishing is a whole new ball game and was happy to be out at the tail end of that brutal cold stretch beginning around Christmas where I had absolutely no concerns about the ice. There were snobiles racing across the lake and the entire thing was frozen solid. In fact my main problem was drilling holes with a hand auger as the ice was well over a foot thick. For what it’s worth I would wait until you have ideal ice conditions to make your first foray into the ice, especially if you will be bringing your son with you. It just isn’t worth the risk and right now the ice is certainly risky. That risk is compounded by inexperience.

If you are going to go out though I would advise leaving your son at home, getting some ice time solo, and then bring the boy along when conditions are better (and you have more experience). I can’t wait to bring my son out on the ice but while I may put myself In risky situations I wouldn’t want to impose the same on my son and plan to wait until I am more comfortable on the ice and conditions are as risk-free as possible (which will still never be completely free of risk when dealing with ice).

Not trying to preach, just want to make sure we are all safe out there and thought I could relate as a newbie on the ice. Whatever you decide, good luck and be safe!!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

logs22 hit the nail on the head. well said and it is great advice. by the way logs22 welcome to the icefishing brotherhood
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had my 5 year old out there a few weeks ago during one of the tourneys. Ice was 6-8" with no open water anywhere except bubblers. Tons of people all over so i was never really worried. Last week there was open water near the homes and back cove. Call dows and ask them before you go. They wont BS you.

In my case my biggest worries were keeping him warm, dry and occupied. Make sure he has good boots with some kind of spikes. Falling on ice can mess you up. Dont crowd anyone and you'll be fine. Something about the ice makes even the grumpiest of old salts talk. Probably because once you hit the ice you realize how messed up in the head you are, then look around and see others and say eff it lets fish.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you're def going to want to go saturday rather than sunday
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
logs22 hit the nail on the head. well said and it is great advice. by the way logs22 welcome to the icefishing brotherhood
Since I have yet to actually CATCH anything through the ice (despite my best efforts at LH, Budd & local ponds) I am not sure I consider myself a full fledged member of the brotherhood (more like a pledge). Hopefully I can beat the Skunk and earn my initiation before the winter ends though!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you take your son on the ice I'd suggest bringing along a life jacket and rope as well as stringing a set of spikes around his neck.

The secret to ice fishing success with children are islands. Uninhabited islands nearby to explore, build forts, etc are key to a happy day on the ice if the fishing is slow.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis View Post
If you take your son on the ice I'd suggest bringing along a life jacket and rope as well as stringing a set of spikes around his neck.

The secret to ice fishing success with children are islands. Uninhabited islands nearby to explore, build forts, etc are key to a happy day on the ice if the fishing is slow.
Genius advice (Who doesn’t like exploring uninhabited islands!?) I will definitely put this knowledge to good use when my son is a few years older.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

do not worry logs you will beat that dreaded skunk keep at it and you will be rewarded. ice fishing is a great way to cure cabin fever.