NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

More Bucktailing Tips - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question More Bucktailing Tips

Hey guys....i know a lot of you sharpies catch alot of big and plentyful Fluke on bucktails...I myself have done ok but i know there is much more to learn.

Please help me out...that would rock!

Ken
Old 06-17-2009, 07:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Advic on BuckTailing For Fluke Needed

detour, that's a pretty vague question. are you looking for advice on tackle or technique? tackle i like 7' spinning rod MH or H, line braid 10 - 20 #, reel - 2500 or 3000 class spinning. i always use a top shot of floro 20 - 30# about five feet. i like to use a small spro power swivel for the connection, some guys like uni-uni or albright or what ever, i like to use a swivel. when i first started jigging i used a two bucktail rig, now i just use a single. depending on current and depth 1/2 oz to 2 oz spro jig, i don't like to go much heavier, if a 2 oz is not working, i will switch to bait fishing. i always use a trilene knot to attach jig to line. colors- you have to do some work yourself! some guys tip their jigs with strip baits, i have done that in the past, now i just mainly use gulp.

as for techniques, first thing is first- cast around- cover water- you will get more fish covering more water! let the jig hit bottom, and start bouncing, you will have to experiment on what rythm works. bounce anywhere from 3 -12", mix it up. also make sure you are in contact with the bottom every so often. some times a fish will follow the jig and then lay on it as it hits bottom. and the most important advice- fish, more time on the water and practice. you could listen to advice till your ears bleed , but time on the water is the greattest teacher. hope this helps
Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I am no Sharpie but in my humble opinion -Great advice ALS Mako couldnt of said it any better -

I also try to watch the sharpies on the boat - Mako Eddie and Archie have helped me tremendously and can thank them enough - half the time I just watch how they work there rigs - THANK YOU GENTLEMAN

It is also nice when these guys share there knowledge but they can tell you everything they know but like anything else it takes time,practice and paitence

GoOd Luck

gDUBYA- out
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Bounce Bounce Bounce!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Under 2 ounces, I use spinning tackle. Over 2 conventional.

I use a Homer-Rhodes loop knot to attach the bucktail to the leader.

More you do it, the better you become.

If you miss the initial strike, keep bouncing as alot of times the fluke will hit it again.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Site Moderator

Seen all those guys plus the guys on BMH do it that way.

I don't.

I fish the back side of the drift, using as heavy as needed to stay as perpendicular as possible. Do NOT drag them.......you ain't aiming to snag the fluke but rather catch them. WHATEVER bait you're imitating is SWIMMING close to the bottom. Touch the bottom every 5-10 bounces just to be sure you're in proximity. Some days they like a steady, slow bounce while other days they fall for the big UP & DOWN. After a miss, drop the bucktail to the bottom and let out line. Sometimes they'll think they wounded it and then pounce back on it.

I always use a stinger hook. SOME peepz use the Owner/Gami 3/0 or 4/0 pre-made stingers. Some make their own fashioning them like those just mentioned. Other peepz tie &/or crimp heavy mono to a trailer hook for their stingers. I either buy Mai Tai bucktails with a swivel ALREADY ON IT (slightly more $) and crimp on a siwash hook or buy swivels the smallest size BUT just big enough to fit over the bucktail's hook barb and the siwash hook. Joe @ Mai Tai showed me the Cat's Azz last week; close the eye on siwash hook. slip plastic tubing (just barely big enough to fit over the eye) OVER the eye, then clip the tubing. Snap the siwash hook onto the bucktail hook, puncturing the plastic tubing. The tubing keeps the stinger hook on AND STRAIGHT. The ways I use aren't going to be quite as long as the pre-made stinger hooks BUT they'll cost A LOT LESS. A pack of Gami stingers (3/0 has 3 and 4/0 has 2 in each pack) cost around $4. Swivels are a dime and hooks 20 cents so mine cost 20% of the pre-made ones and take only seconds to make.

Big and Fresh Strips.....fluke (watch laws), sea robin, mackeral, bunker, blue fish, shark....anything. TRIM the strip WELL.....you want it to flutter not flop around. Some peepz put whole squid on their bucktails and stinger with success.

Teasers above the bucktail is another story.
NJ DEVILS
Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach
Big and Fresh Strips.....fluke (watch laws), sea robin, mackeral, bunker, blue fish, shark....anything. TRIM the strip WELL.....you want it to flutter not flop around. Some peepz put whole squid on their bucktails and stinger with success.

Teasers above the bucktail is another story.
How do you rig the strip (and any other bait) when you are using a bucktail with a stinger hook? Are you putting both hooks through the bait?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyS
How do you rig the strip (and any other bait) when you are using a bucktail with a stinger hook? Are you putting both hooks through the bait?
Hook the wide end of the strip on the bucktail, stretch the strip out to find the place on the strip that will let it sit naturally on the bend of the stinger hook and then put the point of the stinger hook through that spot and place strip at the bend of the stinger. Best to use long and thin (thickness, not width) strips tapering to a pendant shape for maximum flutter. I like fluke ribbon, sea robin, bluefish or bunker strip. Fresh is always best. I have also used mahi, dogfish, mackerel strips. All that said, I did best last year with Gulp, but always have strips on hand in case they prefer them that day.

Owner sells stinger hooks with the plastic over the eye that Lab was describing. I buy stinger hooks with oversized closed eyes that will fit over the bucktail hook barb and bring aquarium tubing to fit over the hook eye. Like Lab says, it will hold the stinger straight back, but sometimes the stinger will twist around and twist the strip bait. Be sure to check for this and fix it if it happens. Good luck

Last edited by GregV; 06-17-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The hooks with the over size eyes are siwash hooks.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys so much for the info.....I have bucktailed fromtime to time now but I am trying to up my game and I hear reports from shapies here and it seems most of the best fluking is done with bucktails not bait.

The info I am would like also is brands, colors, etc and lines used.

Thanks again for taking your time to help me out!

Ken