NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

botom paint removal - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-15-2019, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default botom paint removal

looks like i have at least two coats of bottom paint maybe more. i hear soda blast is the way to go.But there's always someone that says there is a better way.Any help would be highly appreciated. thanks
Old 12-16-2019, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: botom paint removal

I had my last boat blasted down to hull to barrier coat , worked out fine ! Company out of south jersey did it at boat yard . My crew and I did rest , didn’t have e to paint for 4 seasons just touch ups !
Boat yard should know reputable company , some have restrictions but talk to them . I was happy with the job they did , it was at Manasquan Yacht Club !
Old 12-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Some questions for you before you go thought the time and expense of stripping your bottom and spending more time and money then you need to...
- Sounds like you only have a few coats of paint on it, unless you have years of bottom paint and or your hull is blistering you might be wasting your money...
- If you have a yard soda or media blast your paint off that's only half the job. You then have to prep the hull, sand and wipe it down to get the dust off so the paint will stick, then 2 coats of barrier paint to seal the hull, then your 2 coats of bottom paint..

Unless you have some sort of issue with your bottom, save your time and money and put another coat of paint on it... Make sure you use multi season paint and next season, rather then paint the whole bottom, just touch up where needed...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-18-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I did mine 2 season ago. Blasted it ,prepped it, barrier coated and three coats of paint with an alternating color, 1 blue base and 2 black over the top. Cost me about $1500 or $1600 using a premium barrier system and matching paint. As stated above soda blast was only half the battle. Barrier and paints have to be applied with proper time frames and weather conditions as shown in the instructions, this is paramount. It was a lot of work. So after 2 season the system is holding up great, in some spots where the boat yard got over zealous with the power washer the blue base coat is showing through so I need touch up there, otherwise very happy with the results. It also gave me a piece of mind knowing my hull is fully protected from intrusion.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Member

thanks for all of your advice. I'm going to take it and save the money and time.Happy new year to all.