NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

possible solutions ? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default possible solutions ?

spark plus when running are arching through plug boots .

now I know when you have bad wires it can arc being cracked , burnt ,worn
but is there any other reason that this could happen ? im getting new wires tomorrow but wanna know what else I should look at ! I metered the coils and all six have the exact readings but that was after I replaced one that was shorted out ! any opinions would be great !!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: possible solutions ?

I think you nailed the cause. Spray silicon based ( NOT WD-40) lubricant on the wires and engine. Helps preserve

Boot gets hot because the heat for the combustion chamber ( the absolute hottest port of the motor) is the other end of the spark plug. The engine block acts as a heat sink and the porcelain has those ribs on it to dissipate heat. But not all.

Each engine ignition coil is a constant current source (inductor) and when you open the circuit it still wants to push constant current through the air- hence the arc. Run any AC motor like a vacuum cleaner and yank the plug out of the wall. Same effect except AC cross 0 amps 120 times a second. DC never does- hence the big arc in spark plugs. And the limitation on DC circuit breakers because the huge air gap you would have to create to stop high DC currents.

I'm sure that explains what I think you're alluding to? Could the coil be putting out a stronger spark? Stronger spark would need MORE coil turns then are in there or much higher input voltage at the coil. And if the spark gets too high, the insulation in the coil would catastrophically fail (trash can).
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 08-14-2015, 04:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dielectric grease

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I changed the wires out with merc oem and no more shocks , not only that it helped with the engine missing. So after along spring and summer without my boat running properly , i think its finally fixed after replacing , the stator , a bad coil and bad plug wires one coil had a shorted reverse diode ...
Tomorrow ill give it another "in water" test run and see if it is actually fixed !!!!!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Good luck Bass... That was a long dusty road you endured and hope your troubles are behind you.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-16-2015, 07:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

]

I think i finally had some luck on my side , and fixed the dreaded problems ive been having only sucks its almost the end of flukin not that i missed much but hopefully stripers will come back in full swing . Here is a video of it running today