NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opinions on Snake Heads - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Opinions on Snake Heads

Never caught or fished for a snakehead and probably never will...putting the morality aside, I just watched a video about fishing for them in Virginia and the guy said the law is that if relleaeased, it must be done immediately and in the same water as caught and if kept and transported, be killed. Looks like Nj is just behind the times on snakeheads.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Some laws are stupid, and blindly following what BIG BROTHER decrees just because they can is ridiculous..
If you don't want to eat the fish [ I would certainly try them], and they are already there, why make a stupid law that you MUST kill them?.. how utterly moronic.. Personally I might kill them myself, but who the hell is the government in telling me i am breaking the law if I want to release it.?.. Who makes these idiot "laws" anyway?..

here in NY the Great,Finger Lakes, St lawrence river, oneida lake, and others,.. are all infested with millions and millions of Round gobies.. they are way more destructive than the snakehead can ever be.. The DEC wants them killed.. Fine.. However, If you catch one in any lake or river where they already exist by the tens of millions, and DARE put it on hook as bait, right where you caught it, you are breaking the law, and fined heavily.. So no, as far as I am concerned ,stupid laws , are just that.. stupid,, and I feel no compelling reason I must blindly follow them because some suit that probably has never even fished says I must... bob
Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I respect all the opinions here but I also respect the law... We can't just can't pick and choose and ignore the ones we think are stupid. Well, I guess you can but you'll wind up with a ticket or in jail

The law is the law for everyone and for good reason... If you feel they're stupid then work to change them or the people responsible for making them.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-26-2019, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Some laws are stupid, and blindly following what BIG BROTHER decrees just because they can is ridiculous..
If you don't want to eat the fish [ I would certainly try them], and they are already there, why make a stupid law that you MUST kill them?.. how utterly moronic.. Personally I might kill them myself, but who the hell is the government in telling me i am breaking the law if I want to release it.?.. Who makes these idiot "laws" anyway?..

here in NY the Great,Finger Lakes, St lawrence river, oneida lake, and others,.. are all infested with millions and millions of Round gobies.. they are way more destructive than the snakehead can ever be.. The DEC wants them killed.. Fine.. However, If you catch one in any lake or river where they already exist by the tens of millions, and DARE put it on hook as bait, right where you caught it, you are breaking the law, and fined heavily.. So no, as far as I am concerned ,stupid laws , are just that.. stupid,, and I feel no compelling reason I must blindly follow them because some suit that probably has never even fished says I must... bob
So how do we figure out which laws are idiotic and which ones are legit? I happen to think that fishing for stocked trout is about the dumbest thing you can do, so can I just cast net them and use them for bait? Actually, you're not allowed to use a cast net in trout streams and that's pretty dumb because there is some primo bait in there.

And you're not supposed to use live trout for bait in Furnace Lake, but that's pretty dumb and idiotic because the rainbows you can purchased are certified disease-free AND the Musky Trout Hatchery has told me they have taken a financial hit because of the law.

And why can't I cast net herring in Lake Hopatcong and use them in the Delaware, especially the big ones over 6 -inches because they're the ones that look more like the anadromous herring that come up the river for stripers to feed on.

And shouldn't people be keeping like 20 lakers from RV since they're all stunted and need to be culled anyway?

And why the hell do I have to get my boat washed when I go up to Lake George this weekend? All those lakes have gobies and zebra mussels and I'm sure as hell not going to make a difference, esp coming from NJ where we don't have them.

Just curious as to who makes the decision as to which laws are legit and which are not.

Cause if y'all ain't paying attention to the laws I'm gonna start cast netting all your stocked trout and keeping the 7- and 8- pound bass I catch on musky lures from 4/15 to 6/15 for dinner because I can get nice big filets on them and I mean how much is a couple big female bass going to hurt the population anyway?

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 07-26-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So, you've never driven over the speed limit? Not even a little........
Old 07-26-2019, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
So, you've never driven over the speed limit? Not even a little........
I break the speed limit all the time. I've taken my 25hp on a 10hp limit lake. I'm no angel, but I can admit I'm doing something wrong and not try to justify it with the fact that the laws are bogus. I can show you 15 no right on reds in Union Cty that are absolutely asinine and shouldn't be there, and I blow them all the time. But if I get pulled over (and I eventually will), I'll suck it up and not tell the cop that I'm getting it stuck to me by the man because that no right on red shouldn't be there.

I just think it's a VERY slippery slope when we start deciding ourselves which laws to follow and which ones not to follow. And if we want to be sportsmen, we should follow them whether we think they're right or not, or else go out and do something about it.

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 07-26-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Catch and Release in the grease.... final answer.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Kill em or eat um they don't belong here
Old 07-27-2019, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sorry, stupid laws are just that.. Some idiotic regulation put in place by a bureaucracy that thinks up regulations so that they can justify their salary... Killing a fish that you don't want to kill because the government says you must by law kill, and if not, you are in violation of DEC regulations??? Some anglers kill nothing, ever, under any condition, as they don't eat fish.. gonna force them to kill against their will??.. Ridiculous...
Sorry, I guess I am just not as noble, upstanding, moral, "good" as most... bob
Old 07-27-2019, 01:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Again an example from my home state.. the gobies in cayuga lake have just about eradicated the slower, and very timid sculpin .. they just can't compete with the ultra aggressive goby, and are doomed to extinction in the lake..
However, i can still put a sculpin on a hook in cayuga by law, although they are being wiped out.. However, the gobies that have destroyed them, and are decimating the lake are off limits as far as using for bait in the lake they have already ruined.. Some "fisheries expert" dreamed that law up, and most anglers adhere to it I imagine.. So protect the invader in this case, and do NOT protect the species going extinct because of them.. Makes perfect sense to some i guess. Not to me.... bob