NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boating at Night - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Boating at Night

A few tips here since the days are getting shorter and many of us will be boating at night.

Boating safely at night requires a good deal of skill, confidence, knowledge and lights. It’s much more dangerous boating at night for several reasons but to go out with out lights or not knowing how to use them increases the potential for trouble….

Point in case, my brother and I have been boating at night for several years. We were out a few years ago and the red/green nav lights on the bow stopped working. I usually carry spares for this reason but didn't have any. We had the white front facing helm light on the hard top and the rear white stern light so we could at least be seen. But with out red and green nav lights it's hard to tell the orientation and the direction our boat was traveling. Someone in our marina was on his way home and passed by us. He thought we were anchored since we were not showing any red/green. As he approached he noticed we were underway and had to slow down as he approached us because he could not determine the direction we were traveling with out the aid of the red/green nav lights. He gave us a piece of his mind back at the dock, rightfully so. Next trip to the store I picked up spares.

One other thing that is dangerous as well, having lights and using them incorrectly... While out one night we encountered several boats anchored up on the rip that still had their red/green running lights on. Anchoring up at the rip is not a common occurrence. First time we drifted through we assumed these boats were also drifting since their light packages indicated so. Luckily we kept the engine running and noticed we were gaining ground on and were able to avoid them.

Can't be too safe out there guys…… Especially at night.

Here are a few tips to make things safer for you and others at night:

Make sure all your lights are in working order before you leave the dock. Carry spares just in case.

Red and green nav lights should be displayed while you are underway or adrift not at anchor.

Anchor lights should be displayed while at anchor or when you are tied to something stationary and are not moving.

Practice reading the orientation and movement of other boats at night based on what lights they are displaying and how you are seeing them. A simple way to remember which side of the boat has red or green lights is "Red Port Wine". That means red nav lights will always be displayed on the port or left side of a boat. It would then stand to reason that green lights are starboard (right). Knowing this you can determine the orientation of a boat relative to you and as you come up on them what you need you need to do to avoid a collision.

Don't shine your search light on to other boats. Doing so can cause temporary loss of vision to the other boater.

While running keep other lights in the cockpit as dim as practical to avoid glare and allow your eyes to adjust to low light. This will increase your night vision.

Don't get too attached to your GPS and use it as you sole night navigation aid. It might crap out one night and you'll be out of luck. Practice with out your GPS at night. Don't shut it off but get used to land and other fixed navigation lights you can use to line up a safe ride home in case it's not working.

If you’re dead in the water at night or at times of reduced visibility anchor but in a safe place. Do not anchor in or near a channel. It’s much easier to locate and anchored boat then one that is adrift.

You should be very familiar with an area before attempting to run it at night. Check it out during the day to get your orientation. First few times out at night take it slow and get used to what things look like at night.

Last but certainly not least it’s important that you know where you are at all times. If you become disoriented stop, get out a chart, look at your surroundings and figure out where you are. Then and only then should you get back underway. Knowing how to read charts and use a compass can really help you here.

Safe boating to all.

Gerry

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boating at Night

Having had to run back from Harbor tows are nigh into Sandy Hook you tolerate it as a necessary evil. Notice I never said used to it?

One thing to do if fishing is find a visual reference. It's so easy to get disoriented. I use the VZ. And the light up tower behind AHMM.

Pay close attention to your plotter. Most buoys are NOT lit. Collisions with steel buoys are catastrophic at even 10-15 knots. It's well above the waterline but personal injury is extreme. When near them verify where they are and have been passed if moving.

As Gerry pointed out, dial down your backlight on the instruments.

If anchored or stopped, the more lights on the better. The nav lights are to show you're there. And they are puny compared to spreader lights.

But running a boat at night is stressful . Is and will always be. Done dozens of 15 mile trips to and from NYC, from Raritan River to SH at night. They are NEVER relaxing.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Also if ur fishing in active channels always keep an eye open for traffic coming ur way .
It never ceases to amaze me how quiet a large ship can move through the water,
On moon lite nights ur visibility can be increased , but darker nights reduces ur vision .
If u have a radar & know how to use it , makes life a lot easier on the water after dark !
Always plot were u are in relation to surroundings , daytime just have to look but at night it's radar & GPS charts , knowing we're u r makes getting to where u want to go a lot easier .
Always line up, inlets via entrance buoys if possible if ur not expierenced in using inlet after dark .
Shore lighting can be very confusing so as noted pick,out a known land mark that ur sure of , this can help u greatly in maintains a safe course !
Nothing beats local knowledge !
I'm of the school that slows down after dark, & prefer running any distances with spot on water to light area immediate area in front of vessel , most items I've hit were in low light conditions .
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good advice. But I would not use a forward facing light while running. I makes you peripherally blind. Like tunnel vision.

Stuff to the side including 80- foot party boats get unseen until they are next to you. I've experienced that.

Any one ever turn around and look in back of you? That's a rarity.

And while running a boat at night your own engine noise covers all but the loudest of sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
Also if ur fishing in active channels always keep an eye open for traffic coming ur way .
It never ceases to amaze me how quiet a large ship can move through the water,
On moon lite nights ur visibility can be increased , but darker nights reduces ur vision .
If u have a radar & know how to use it , makes life a lot easier on the water after dark !
Always plot were u are in relation to surroundings , daytime just have to look but at night it's radar & GPS charts , knowing we're u r makes getting to where u want to go a lot easier .
Always line up, inlets via entrance buoys if possible if ur not expierenced in using inlet after dark .
Shore lighting can be very confusing so as noted pick,out a known land mark that ur sure of , this can help u greatly in maintains a safe course !
Nothing beats local knowledge !
I'm of the school that slows down after dark, & prefer running any distances with spot on water to light area immediate area in front of vessel , most items I've hit were in low light conditions .
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've run a variety of boats with spot on at nite , I agree with your premise , however on bridge boats it never affected me
Anything to side should be noted on radar . I also agree engine noise will drown out most sounds in immediate area, however when trolling at night especially with current OB' s not so much .
Looking back if ur nite trolling no issue ur always watching lines just habit , but running hardly ever look back again radar should prevail here .
In a few words be careful at night !