NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Help needed Re line for newbie 8 yr old - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-06-2020, 01:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Help needed Re line for newbie 8 yr old

My son is 8 yrs old and been fishing charters for fluke since he was 6. He loves it. After fluke season ends he started wanting to go fishing more and started going to fresh water ponds in Monmouth county for trout and he got addicted to that too. I grew up fishing Holmdel pond in the 80s and that’s where I took him. Anyway, my freshwater gear is dated so I got him a really nice trout rod and reel for Xmas. I’m actually jealous of it.

Question I have is what is the best line and brand I can put on it? Cost is not an issue. I assume it will be 2# diameter of some kind of braid with a breaking strength of 6#? We will be fishing bait from shore. It’s been decades since I fished the sweetwater and it’s so amazing my son is bringing me back to where I started. He’s my best fishing partner ever. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John
Old 12-06-2020, 06:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Help needed Re line for newbie 8 yr old

4 lb trilene monofilament, clear, or stren too, is a good simple line for trout. 2 lb is better too if you find you don't need all that strength. I like 6 lb too. Anything over 6 is getting too thick imo.

You can use braid but then you'd want to use leaders, and typically i have bad experience with braid especially thin diameter braid (under 15lb) as it gets wind knots. But you might like it better.

You can reel it on the reel yourself (i just place the trilene spool on the floor and reel it in with rod tip over it) or go to sporting life llc in Whitehouse off rt 22 and they got that spool machine to put it on tight.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Don’t use braid, as previously mentioned you would have to tie in leaders. It’s also much easier to get line cuts with braid. Don’t use 2 pound test it’s too light for your sons skill level and could cost him a nice fish. Four pound is fine and more forgiving. Buy stren or trilene , it really doesn’t mater which brand as it’s a decent quality line. Also remember to check for nicks and retie as needed as there is very little room for error with 4 pound test.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys. Honestly it’s been over 30 years since I used to fish for trout in high school at Holmdel park. Always look back fondly on those days even the days my dad and I sat in pouring rain until we got our stringer. Once I started flounder and fluke fishing I got so hooked on the salt I sadly never went back. It’s funny how life is as I now find myself being nostalgic going back to the trout not only for my son but bc I didn’t realize how much I missed it.

Anyway, I have been so out of touch with freshwater fishing in NJ as for past 35 years have been addicted to stripers, tog, fluke, sea bass and especially offshore. Everything has been the cutting edge reels, rods etc and braided line. Never thought mono was an advantage here over braid lol��. Looking forward to going back to where I started with my kid. He’s not ready for streams and tbh don’t know if I am as never did that as was always a pond trout and catfish guy lol.

Thanks and hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays

Last edited by John D.; 12-06-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 02:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

welcome back to the sweetwater you and your son well have fun making great memories together. as was mentioned you should use 4 or 6lb line as it will be better if you should come into contact with a big stocker trout or a chain pickerel aka slime darts as i like to call them. If you get a big catfish 4lb line will be a challenge for sure and remember to respool your line often to avoid nicks and wind knots. Light line is tough to keep in good shape if you fish in areas that have snags and rocks around, good luck and tight lines.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Think will go with 6# mono after the advice. Looking forward to hitting the ponds from shore next spring. Don’t think he is ready for streams/rivers from shore now unless it’s easy access from shore and casting.

Thanks