NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who lost a spinner bait and a Bud Light ??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Who lost a spinner bait and a Bud Light ???

Well, I know who lost the Bud Light..... LOL !!!!

But I was fishing for an hour this afternoon and caught my first ( very small) pike with another spinner bait in it's mouth. I was very happy to release the pike minus both spinner baits, and it swam away with a big "thank you" splash !!

I went yesterday afternoon to a different spot for an hour and between both afternoons, I caught......lets just say...a bunch . (too many to count) (nothing over 32") but plenty of action !

I lost 2 spinner baits this year in the mouth of a couple big pike, and I am determined to get my spinner baits back. I was glad to see this little guy still attacking a bait with a lure in it's mouth.

Here is a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4duIwbxFis

Danny V
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Who lost a spinner bait and a Bud Light ???

Had one last month with an inline spinner its gills. Was a little guy and hooked pretty deeply with the spinner, so considering he was healthy enough to hit my crankbait, I decided against lure surgery and let him be.

If you find a beast with a big bladed firetiger spinnerbait, THAT one is mine haha. Nice job Dan.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Who lost a spinner bait and a Bud Light ???

LOL, now thats funny. Great catch!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

that's how the whole 'piercing' thing started, one pike sees another with a spinnerbait piercing suddenly he's got to have one

seriously though, it's good to see they're surviving the hardware retention. out of curiosity were the lures rusted? always wondered about the "eventually it will rust out" theory.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps
t out of curiosity were the lures rusted? always wondered about the "eventually it will rust out" theory.
I have also subscribed to the "eventually it will rust out" theory and have also wondered about that. I have released fish that were hooked kinda deep by biting off the line, as to remove the hook would result in the life of the fish. Seeing them swim off gives the fisherman HOPE, but I have wondered about mortality rates?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've lost about 12-13 lures to them toothy critters this year. In most cases, they are cutting the line in FRONT of the lure or so it seems. When I lose a lure, I tie on a new one and throw it back to the spot I just lost the last one. More often than not I get what I think is the guilty pike with no lure in its jaw. Another 5 or lures are in trees. Its been an expensive year. I've tried steel, 6" leaders but seem to draw less strikes and almost no bass.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

what line are you using buzz?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use light line - usually 8 lb test - for further casting.. I tend to stick with Berkley Trilene either Trans-Optic, XL or LT. I'm not targeting pike only but bass as well so I tend to stick with 1/4 oz lures or smaller.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sorry for the late reply's...I just got home from a looooong day kayaking in Montauk. I left at 2AM yesterday for a full day of kayaking around the point. Only one short striper and about 20 big bluefish, 5 porgies, 10 small sea bass a few short fluke, and a few sea robins.

The other spinner bait in the pike looked very clean, so I am thinking within the last week or so. But the lost spinner bait had a 12" wire leader attached, and the line looked to be about 8 lb. test. I can't see why you would use wire leader with a spinner bait and I NEVER use aything less than 15lb.test. With all the structure in the river, I always want a heavy enough line to pull the fish out.

Danny V