NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

1000 Islands NY Fishing Report - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 1000 Islands NY Fishing Report

Great place it's what I would call "Freshwater God's Country". It's amazing, the fishing and scenery up there. congrats on a good trip
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
Wilson the Panther Martin spinner with a gold blade, black body with yellow dots size 9 is the ticket. The only lure you'll need. Reel it just slow enough to keep it off the bottom and you'll be all smiles all day.

If you want more specifics pm me your phone number and we can talk.
Nuff said, that's my favorite one to use as well. I think I have about 2 dozen of that style in my box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panthermartin.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	48693  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

That's the one Wilson!! For those interested here is the Panther Martin we've been using pretty much exclusively up in the 1000 Islands. We've caught everything from Smallies, Largemouth Pike and Muskies on it. We use number 9s for the weight and longer casts.

We were up several years ago and were having a tough time fishing. Threw eveything in the tackle box we had at them and couldn't buy a fish. Out of frustration, I went to the bait store looking for something different. I saw a guy pick one up so I decided to give it a try.

I get back on the fishing grounds and start hammering the fish while the rest of the guys were doing nothing. Needless to say they took notice, immediately raced eachother to 3 different tackle stores in the area causing a Panther Martin shortage

Very important to use low vis line up there too since the water is so clear. I used the 8 lb Berkley Vanish Floro in the Blue Box up there this past time and was pleased with it.

PS - I don't do a lot of fresh water fishing in NJ but have used this at my buddies place in Lake Hopatcong with good success on Smallies and the stockie trout too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther Martin.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	48695  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-31-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Ice - Summer fishing is a totally different ball game up there. In the spring we are rarley fishing in more then 5 to 15 feet of water in the shallow bays.

Once the water warms up the fish leave the bays, go deep and tend to stack up on 20 to 30 foot rocky shoals that are surrounded by deeper water. Best way I have found to fish them is slow drifting worms and crayfish off the bottom.

Important to have a fish finder in the summer in order to mark/locate the suspended Smallies. If you zero in on them they will be stacked up like chord wood and its not uncommon to catch 20 plus fish in an hour or 2.

Wilson - if you get tired of Smallie fishing the best place for Large Mouth in the A Bay area is Lake of the Isles. Not sure if your are bringing or renting a boat but it's practically a must up there. There is a place in A Bay Obrein's that rents them but just be aware that like a lot of things in the 1000 Islands, these boats aren't in the best of shape

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-31-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 1000 Islands NY Fishing Report

AWESOME report. Great pics. Its beautiful up there, GODS COUNTRY!!!