NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Moving out! (to pikeville) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Moving out! (to pikeville)

Hey all!

Exciting time for me as I'm finally moving out of my parents house. Relocating to Little Falls to be closer to work.

Whats even more exciting to me is my new place is going to be a block away from a stretch of the Passaic River that is stocked with pike! I've never caught one before so I'm very excited to try when I move. That being said, I have no idea how to target them. I assume a steel leader is pretty vital, and I've heard they like spinnerbaits, but beyond that I'm clueless as to what they like to bite on.

I'm also curious as to what else lives in the Passaic. I bet there's carp in there, but what else?

Any info you could pass on is greatly appreciated. I'm ready for all this ice to be gone!! (sorry ice guys!!!!) Tight lines fellas!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Moving out! (to pikeville)

I haven't fished for pike in the Passaic River but I catch them in Budd Lake on Z-man Chatterbait lures. Something about that vibration just seems to make the attack it.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My first and only so far was caught in the same river but way further upstream, around New Providence.

I used a $1 black spinnerbait from wally world, along with a steel leader.

Also congrats on the big move.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They'll eat virtually anything that moves. Stained, muddy water so flash helps. You can use wire or heavy fluoro. I prefer single hook lures over trebles due to hang ups.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Spinner baits and soft plastic jerkbaits - White
Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I used to fish the preserve upstream from Little Falls. People aren't encouraged to visit the preserve as it's run by a bizarre group of misanthropes. Parking is always a problem and the swamp's bugs will drain your blood and give you terrible diseases - but there are fish to be caught back there!

Old 02-13-2018, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Passaic has as big a variety of species as any body of water I know of. LM, SM, white perch, sunnies, carp, pickerel, catfishes and god knows how many different bait fishes all in addition to Pike. I have seen pike over 40 inches. White spinnerbaits and big jointed Rapalas seem to work best.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

top waters work and will be able to go over some snaggy spots where they're hiding, spinnerbaits work well for that too. sturdy gear to get them away from snags. I usually start with buzz baits or spinnerbaits just cause it's so much easier to deal with a single hook or even with a stinger hook. plugs work better sometimes though.

late spring is great, early fall too, but you can catch them pretty much any time of year. there's a lot in the 25-32" range but you have to be prepared for a 35-40 incher.

also if you do wading be careful it's very muddy, you can go into hip deep mud off the edge or worse! I just stay on the shore in the small sections and put the jon boat into the medium sized sections, no wading for me on that river.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-13-2018, 02:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Very nice! A lot of good info above. Ill just add my 0.02.

You can catch pike on lures in the river year round, as long as it isn't covered with ice. Im pretty sure Ive caught pike on artificials every month of the year on the Passaic. Water levels are more of a factor of success, and dictate fishable areas. My favorite period of the year is May through Dec.

You can use wire or heavy fluoro for leader. I prefer fluoro, as it wont kink. Theyll hit most lures. I like big and flashy stuff...spinnerbaits, spinners, plugs.

As Chrisper said...DO NOT WADE. The mud is thick.

Now, the fun part is getting out and exploring! Lots of pike and some big smallies in that area.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

THANKS ALL!!!!!! Tons of awesome information here, i greatly appreciate it. I move in April 1st, just in time for some spring fishing! Im very excited to get after some pike. If anyone else wants to give their two cents I'd welcome it!