NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wading Boots - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Wading Boots

Looking for suggestions on wading boots w/ type of sole that I will use primarily in NJ streams and rivers when trout fishing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wading Boots

What is your budget?

Definitely get a set of chest waders. I don't like hip boots cause I always push the limit and wind up wet going over the top of the boot. Can be a problem in the frigid spring time water. There are options from cabelas and proline that won't break the bank that have the boots sewn right into the wader. < $100
Old 03-15-2016, 01:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The trend in wading boots has been away from the felt soles. Lots of places don't want you using felt at all.
I have a pair of Korker Chrome boots, the ones with the cable system instead of laces. The soles interchange so I can go with carbide or felt or just plain rubber. I like them, but I'd go with lace-up boots if I did it again. You can always buy new laces.
I also have a pair of Chota boots with felt soles and screw-in cleats. They're my choice for wet-wading or when I loan waders to a friend with a smaller foot.
Make sure you go try on whatever you choose while wearing a neoprene bootie if that's how you'll wear them. A little big is way better than a little snug, but they should fit.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you can afford it, go with chest waders. I prefer stocking feet waders and wading boots. If you are on a budget, then hip boots will have to do.

I like felt soles because they provide good grip on slippery rocks, but they are banned some places and I suspect will be banned in NJ eventually too, so you may want to avoid felt and look for soles with metal studs.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhem View Post
The trend in wading boots has been away from the felt soles. Lots of places don't want you using felt at all.
I have a pair of Korker Chrome boots, the ones with the cable system instead of laces. The soles interchange so I can go with carbide or felt or just plain rubber. I like them, but I'd go with lace-up boots if I did it again. You can always buy new laces.
I also have a pair of Chota boots with felt soles and screw-in cleats. They're my choice for wet-wading or when I loan waders to a friend with a smaller foot.
Make sure you go try on whatever you choose while wearing a neoprene bootie if that's how you'll wear them. A little big is way better than a little snug, but they should fit.
I have korkets as well. Great do it all boor, wear the rubber soled when hiking through the woods, climbing rocks, along roads along many of the local streams, two mins later I can swap out for the felts when fishing the bigger streams and rivers that have slippery rocks. Come winter I can swap out again for the studded soles for walking through snow and shelf ice . Great all around boot if you fish different conditions and areas
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 03-15-2016, 02:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhem View Post
I like them, but I'd go with lace-up boots if I did it again. You can always buy new laces.
If anything were to happen to the cables they can be replaced for $10.

Pocket, If you plan to fish in the winter consider the boa because tying/untying laces can be annoying when it's below freezing.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i really like my simms freestone boots with the hardbite star cleats. good support for a long walk to the water, fantastic traction with the cleats. no need to tie/untie each time, just unloop the laces from the top couple lace hooks and slide them off.

i like them enough i'm thinking about getting a second pair this year to run without cleats for when i am drift fishing and don't want to scratch the boat up jumping in and out.

related question: i want to use the boots to wet wade in the late spring, what do you guys all use for a neoprene bootie or sock for that?

Last edited by acabtp; 03-15-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

LL Bean - lifetime warranty.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
i really like my simms freestone boots with the hardbite star cleats. good support for a long walk to the water, fantastic traction with the cleats. no need to tie/untie each time, just unloop the laces from the top couple lace hooks and slide them off.

i like them enough i'm thinking about getting a second pair this year to run without cleats for when i am drift fishing and don't want to scratch the boat up jumping in and out.

related question: i want to use the boots to wet wade in the late spring, what do you guys all use for a neoprene bootie or sock for that?
I use cabelas neoprene socks for it. One pair fits good and tight, abother pair I gotta use a little tape to close up the top to keep gravel out but both work good
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Wading Boots

Aquaz waders offers a bootfoot for cold weather use , extremely warm best I've used . Even in 35 degree water very comfortable , they use a Boggs boot with neoprene uppers no chafing or rubbing , with 5 layer uppers ! With zip & standard , zipper style can spoil U for sure !
I've used them for two winters now trout fishing over 100 trips no issues !