NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Big H 2-28-2021 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Big H 2-28-2021

With warmer temperatures upon us, trying to get the ice fix to last through the rest of the year.

So early morning headed out to Big H in search of some, well whatever willing to play.

Got on ice at 5am and promptly went through to my knees trying to get on ice at one spot. Technically my fault since i wasnt listening on where to go. Quick change and back out i went.

Now to all of you wondering how long it will last. Technically it all depends on how safe do you feel. Some shorelines were pretty much gone while others were frozen from top to bottom. Place where i was had 12 inches of ice with half being white and other half being black. I do not see it disappearing this week so you will see me out there next weekend. I encourage anyone who wants to come out to be careful, spud and if not sure ask around.

With that out of the way back to fishing. From 5 to 7-30 pretty much nothing but crappies were coming from the holes. Flatheads and wax worms doing the damage with flatheads doing most of it. Biggest one went to 13"
After crappie stopped it was perch and sunnies turn. While i was trying not to catch any sunnies this ice season that streak was finally broken with swedish pimple tipped with waxies doing the damage.

As far as tip ups for bigger fish goes. Nothing to tell pretty much. Had 3 flags all time tat i was on ice and lost all 3 fish. Getting rusty i guess with hook ups.

Had friends fishing the other end of the lake and they were putting on a white perch clinic with most in 10 to 12" size.

No toothy critters for me this time.

Be safe if you planning on going out, have a buddy and spud spud spud my friends so we all can doing again next year.

Andre
Old 03-01-2021, 06:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Big H 2-28-2021

Lots of ice out there but the edges are going pretty quick. Might need a plank by next weekend to get on. There will still be 6-10 in niches in a lot of spots once you get on. Thank you for the honest report my brother! See you out there hopefully. Shoot me a text if your headed out next weekend. All my stuff is in the truck and ready to roll.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Big H 2-28-2021

I was out on the pond this weekend also. The ice is thick on the southern end but much of it is compacted snow so not sure how it will look after this week. Not many people out on Sunday, I was surprised
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks Andre!
glad you didnt end up deeper than your knees, looks like the planks are coming out for this weekend?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Good to hear you are still catching. I had a similar experience with a leg going in..Spilled my bucket of shiners and they all died. Fun times. Hoping to get one more weekend on the ice. TD