NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2021 NJ trout season changes : - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-27-2021, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 2021 NJ trout season changes :

Nothing wrong with some c&r before the opener.

The combination of COVID and NJ stocking regs cleared out my honey hole on opening day 2020. I had it to myself. That’s never happened before.

Keep in mind, these trout are stocked for the purpose of being caught by anglers. They aren’t part of some program to return our streams to the time before Europeans came to America. Rainbows, browns, palominos and tigers aren’t native to NJ. Only Brook trout are. Our streams with native and wild trout are managed accordingly.

If you fish bait and you don’t want to keep the fish Or are fishing during the c&r period, pay attention while you fish and don’t wait long to set the hook!
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
Sounds reasonable given COVID still being an issue I suppose. Is there any word on whether they'll allow volunteers to help stock. PA seems as though they are going to, wonder if NJ is following suit.

Now we just have to hope for a good storm between 3/15 and 4/1 to raise the streams and spread the fish.
PA will allow the use of volunteers but on a limited basis based on how long you have been affiliated with this program ! Also PA this year will have April 3 as opening day statewide !
Old 02-27-2021, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: 2021 NJ trout season changes :

Chris Lido who works for F&G posted it on his Wastebook page. I know Chris, he takes scuttlebutt very seriously, I call him a "reliable" source.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I just hope that before the ink dries on the official release that they address the lakes that are closed due to pre-season stocking. In effect they will be adding weeks to the closure according to the digest and this new early closure date. This is prime time for ice out fishing for other species. Think about Little Swartswood and Lake Musconetcong. They need to address this and should consider April 1 as opening or just drop them from the closed lakes list.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There needs to be rules for catch and release. I went to a pond early last year ( have never done pond fishing for trout before) there were dead fish all over with this catch and release with bait.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Allowing the groups like TU to assist in the stocking is important in spreading the fish around. I noticed fishing was off a bit last year because the spots I normally fish aren't by a bridge or main stocking point. Hope they'll be allowed to help again this season.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
Sounds reasonable given COVID still being an issue I suppose. Is there any word on whether they'll allow volunteers to help stock. PA seems as though they are going to, wonder if NJ is following suit.

Now we just have to hope for a good storm between 3/15 and 4/1 to raise the streams and spread the fish.
I can confirm, NJ will not allow volunteers for stocking this spring. This is not a F&G decision, this is solely based on the Governor’s rules around COVID.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS View Post
I can confirm, NJ will not allow volunteers for stocking this spring. This is not a F&G decision, this is solely based on the Governor’s rules around COVID.
Not surprising. Murphy is a dwad.