NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Early spring/ mercer County lake - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-08-2021, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Early spring/ mercer County lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanv View Post
Fishbrain.. anyone find this app useful - the locations seem so ridiculously off, is it just me?
The internet has ruined fishing lol
Old 03-09-2021, 01:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtijoe View Post
I'm new to the area and I'm really curious if anyone does well at mercer Co lake after the ice melts? Interested in the possible crappie and perch bites from shore. I can't wait for this cold to pass.
Used to catch Crappie casting to the docks at Mercer early. Prospertown is still recovering from the drawdown. Around now the crappie should start to chew around now around Roller coaster point. There's a dirt access road between the main lot and six flags that will take you to another ramp/parking lot directly across from the roller coaster. Shiners and crappie jigs off the point. If you use your kayak drift between the points until you locate them. There are tons of trees in the channels. Caught bass on plastics from late March on.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
Used to catch Crappie casting to the docks at Mercer early. Prospertown is still recovering from the drawdown. Around now the crappie should start to chew around now around Roller coaster point. There's a dirt access road between the main lot and six flags that will take you to another ramp/parking lot directly across from the roller coaster. Shiners and crappie jigs off the point. If you use your kayak drift between the points until you locate them. There are tons of trees in the channels. Caught bass on plastics from late March on.
Not OP but have been following as I live in Trenton and am always looking for guidance. Appreciate the tips, went to Prospertown in my Kayak late last season (September-ish) and enjoyed it, but due to the timing the water was a bit overgrown with weeds. Lake was a good balance of size and not too-too crowded.

Will Keep that spot in mind for some shore fishing if I want to wet a line before getting the boats out (water temps obviously still low for me - a rookie kayaker) sounds like there will be bites one way or another starting very soon!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
The internet has ruined fishing lol
Hahahaha...
Old 03-12-2021, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fish Prospertown quite a bit. Same with the three lakes in Assunpink WMA. Rapala's Original Floating Minnows work great - esp late Mar and into April when the spawn begins. Work them slow....twitch once or twice and then let them sit for few seconds, then repeat. Bass and pickerel love them..and a few crappie will rise up for the offering too. throw a suspending minnow for the crappie, too.

good luck!

IrishAngler
Old 03-12-2021, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Are there area to fish at assunpink? Which lake has the best shore fishing access?