NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Overdue fishing report from the last two months! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-08-2021, 04:15 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Overdue fishing report from the last two months!

Hey all! I've been fishing up a storm, and I've even been on a few fishing trips in the last two months or so, so here's a few reports all at once!

In September I went up to the Catskills and bounced around some streams up there. Only caught one fish, but it was my first ever brown trout which I caught in the west branch of the beer kill. The water was high and a bit stained. I released the fish.

In October before the stocking, I bounced around the north branch of the raritan a lot, since that's close to me. Caught a ton of smallmouths and sunnies, but the most noteworthy were a big bass that I caught under the rt 22 bridge in early October, and a crappie that I caught twice an hour apart on two different presentations... luckily I took a picture the first time! You can definitely tell by the little dots on its fins! The crappie was at North Branch Park. The whole stretch of that park was great from late summer to mid-fall for smallmouth and sunnies with a couple of crappies too! Wherever I fished on the north branch, I usually used trout magnets or spinners, plus some ned rigs under bridges targeting the big boys.

In late October, I went on a trip with some buddies to the Poconos. We only went out fishing for one afternoon, at a small stream called saw creek, but we did well for ourselves! I caught my first ever brook trout, which I released in about a minute after a quick photo shoot, and we bagged two browns for dinner! All three were caught on Mepps spinners.

Last but not least, I went on a trip to north Jersey with my dad this past weekend. We fished different areas of the Big Flat Brook for hours and hours, but had no luck besides a MASSIVE rainbow (surely one of the stocked breeders) under a small bridge somewhere upstream of 202. I tried to rush it into the net, and it flopped off the hook halfway in the net and got away!

We then took a drive out to Vancampens Brook, which was absolutely gorgeous, and I caught a little wild brown trout on green trout magnet with a pinched barb. My first ever wild trout in the state! I wet my hand for a quick picture and got him back in the water in under 30 seconds.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting better, but still have a lot to learn! I'll try to stay on top of fishing reports in the future!

Bonus: A beaver at a small pond near my house, walked right up to me and started munching on some twigs not 10 feet away!

Old 11-08-2021, 04:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Overdue fishing report from the last two months!

Great report, love hearing good news from the North Branch !
Old 11-08-2021, 05:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Overdue fishing report from the last two months!

that one you mentioned in the van campens is actually a brook trout, unless pics got mixed up, this one -> https://postimg.cc/gLVDjqPS , good sized one too Now go catch a wild bow!

Also nice work on the elusive raritan crappie. Oddly weird to come by in the rivers, although not entirely rare.

Glad to see you already got around exploring PA and NY. It took myself a while to do that.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
that one you mentioned in the van campens is actually a brook trout, unless pics got mixed up, this one -> https://postimg.cc/gLVDjqPS , good sized one too Now go catch a wild bow!

Also nice work on the elusive raritan crappie. Oddly weird to come by in the rivers, although not entirely rare.

Glad to see you already got around exploring PA and NY. It took myself a while to do that.
Oh yeah, I see it now... the markings on the top of the fish and edges of the fins! I thought brown because of the spots, but I guess I wasn't looking super closely because I wanted to get it back in the water. That's even better! State pride for the state fish!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Overdue fishing report from the last two months!

Well done man, well done. Glad to see your figuring out what works for the fish. Nice mixed bag all around from some great waterways. And yes, that’s a beautiful Brook Trout. Awesome!
Old 11-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Site Sponsor

Sweet report my man, even sweeter fish!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 11-09-2021, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sweet report dude! Love all the exploring, and it's made even better when you're catching pretty fish like those
Old 11-09-2021, 06:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

amazing colors on that brookie. congrats. Keep the reports coming