NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Best fw fighting fish?? Join the debate - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-28-2023, 07:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Best fw fighting fish?? Join the debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
There was a farm pond I used to frequent with my father up in Addison, NY where my grandparents lived many years ago. Everytime we visited, we'd fish there. The pumpkin seeds and bluegills were gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen! Undoubtedly, they pulled like no other. Hard to imagine a 3 to 4 lb'er.

They also stocked a unquie hybrid catfish species. It's name slips my mind, but they jumped like crazy when hooked. It may have been a cross between channels and blues, but these, too, were absolutely massive. We'd see them cruising around and sitting inside tractor tires on the bottom when he brought the canoe. They were impressive. My father always targeted them. They were ruthless fighters!
only argument against hybrids i can think of is they wont ever jump, so if that's important to someone it knocks them down a few notches and thats the only reason i think smallies top hybrids for some people. the poll on our page has smallies in the lead by a handful of votes i think for this reason and also that many guys have never hooked a hybrid striper.... hmmm

you seen some of those gargantuan sunfish from out mid west i think? like 4-5 pound blobs? id love to see how they compare haha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 09-28-2023, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
There was a farm pond I used to frequent with my father up in Addison, NY where my grandparents lived many years ago. Everytime we visited, we'd fish there. The pumpkin seeds and bluegills were gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen! Undoubtedly, they pulled like no other. Hard to imagine a 3 to 4 lb'er.

They also stocked a unquie hybrid catfish species. It's name slips my mind, but they jumped like crazy when hooked. It may have been a cross between channels and blues, but these, too, were absolutely massive. We'd see them cruising around and sitting inside tractor tires on the bottom when he brought the canoe. They were impressive. My father always targeted them. They were ruthless fighters!
Addison's about an hour west of me... for whatever reason, NY state grows truly massive sunfish in some waters even small ones like farm ponds.. the Finger Lakes sunnies were big and full of fight.. When they were abundant, I was perfectly happy just shoreline fishing with a bobber and worm for those big sunnies.. The rock bass were huge as well, with 12 inchers hooking up regularly..
Old 09-28-2023, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

True i agree many haven't caught hybrids, but they do jump. I've had them cartwheel across the surface while dumping insane amounts of line after crushing a slow moving subsurface plug. Smallies are acrobatic, esp river strains. But sheer power and explosiveness, gotta tip my cap to hybrids. I don't burn the midnight/late night oil for smallies. I do time and time again for hybrids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
only argument against hybrids i can think of is they wont ever jump, so if that's important to someone it knocks them down a few notches and thats the only reason i think smallies top hybrids for some people. the poll on our page has smallies in the lead by a handful of votes i think for this reason and also that many guys have never hooked a hybrid striper.... hmmm

you seen some of those gargantuan sunfish from out mid west i think? like 4-5 pound blobs? id love to see how they compare haha
Old 09-28-2023, 02:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would have to agree with BroadBill with the fish that is on your line.
I have never caught a hybrid so i can not judge that, but i like the smallies battle on light tackle with those jumps. No braided line, 4-6lb mono for me.
but I am happy catching whatever is hitting
Old 09-28-2023, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

carp, hybrid, snakehead, shad are the only choices lb for lb

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 10-03-2023, 12:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'd love to tell you a musky or a blue cat, but pound for pound nothing fights harder than hybrid striper.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

For pure power I would go with carp. The only freshwater fish that ever spooled me was a carp at Colonial Lake by the bowling alley pre drawdown. For spirited energy/acrobatics I would go with river Smallies. Honorable mention for large Sunfish.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
True i agree many haven't caught hybrids, but they do jump. I've had them cartwheel across the surface while dumping insane amounts of line after crushing a slow moving subsurface plug. Smallies are acrobatic, esp river strains. But sheer power and explosiveness, gotta tip my cap to hybrids. I don't burn the midnight/late night oil for smallies. I do time and time again for hybrids!
Really? I've literally never had one jump ever in 15 years haha. You sure they're not flying out of the water due to a beastly hook set? Hahsha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54