NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River cleanup update - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Passaic River cleanup update

Progress is being made in the Passaic River cleanup. At the very least, we are moving from the litigation stage to the actual cleanup stage. Press release describing the most recent rulings available here:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2012/12_0061.htm

Excerpt for Record of Decision for Diamond Alkali/Diamond Shamrock, a major contributor to dioxin contamination in the river:

Quote:
SITE DESCRIPTION: THE 80 LISTER AVENUE SITE OCCUPIES APPROXIMATELY 3.5 ACRES IN THE IRONBOUND SECTION OF
NEWARK. IT IS BOUNDED ON THE NORTH BY THE PASSAIC RIVER, ON THE EAST BY THE FORMER SERGEANT CHEMICAL COMPANY
(120 LISTER AVENUE, NOW OWNED BY DIAMOND SHAMROCK CORPORATION), AT THE SOUTHEAST CORNER BY THE DURALAC
COMPANY, AND ON THE SOUTH AND WEST BY THE SHERWIN-WILLIAMS COMPANY. ALTHOUGH PRESENTLY INACTIVE, THE SITE
WAS USED FOR MANUFACTURING VARIOUS AGRICULTURAL AND SPECIALTY ORGANIC CHEMICALS FROM 1914-1977. THE MOST
SIGNIFICANT PERIOD RELATIVE TO CONTAMINATION OBSERVED AT THE SITE IS FROM THE END OF WORLD WAR II TO THE
MID-1970S. DURING THIS TIME, PESTICIDES AND PHENOXY HERBICIDES WERE THE PRIMARY PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED.
DIOXIN MAY OCCUR AS A CONTAMINANT IN THESE PRODUCTS.
BACKGROUND: CONCERN ABOUT THE POTENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF DIOXIN IN THIS AREA DEVELOPED AS INFORMATION
BECAME AVAILABLE REGARDING MANUFACTURING PROCESSES WHICH HAD THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE UNWANTED
TOXIC BY-PRODUCTS INCLUDING DIOXIN. IN THE SPRING OF 1983 A COMPREHENSIVE SAMPLING PROGRAM WAS IMPLEMENTED
BY THE NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (NJDEP) TO INVESTIGATE FACILITIES WHICH MIGHT HAVE
PRODUCED DIOXIN. THE PRESENCE OF DIOXIN AT THE 80 LISTER AVENUE SITE WAS IDENTIFIED IN MAY 1983. SUBSEQUENT
TO THIS FINDING, DIOXIN WAS ALSO DISCOVERED IN SEVERAL AREAS THROUGHOUT THE IRONBOUND SECTION OF NEWARK.
BASED ON THE RESULTS OF INITIAL INVESTIGATIONS, DIAMOND SHAMROCK ENTERED INTO AN
ADMINISTRATIVE CONSENT ORDER (ACO) WITH THE NJDEP ON MARCH 13, 1984. THE ACO REQUIRES THAT DIAMOND SHAMROCK
SECURE THE SITE, PREVENT EXPOSURE TO CONTAMINANTS, DETERMINE THE EXTENT OF CHEMICAL CONTAMINATION, AND
COMPLETE A SITE EVALUATION AND A FEASIBILITY STUDY OF REMEDIAL ALTERNATIVES. ON DECEMBER 20, 1984, DIAMOND
SHAMROCK ENTERED INTO A SECOND ACO (ACO II) WITH NJDEP WHICH REQUIRES THE INVESTIGATION AND CLEANUP OF ALL
AFFECTED OFF-SITE AREAS OF CONTAMINATION IN THE IRONBOUND SECTION OF NEWARK.
Full Record of decision here (warning: tl;dr even for me):

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/r...t/r0287053.pdf
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Passaic River cleanup update

That's the best part. If anyone starts taking fish, to eat anyway, they won't live long enough to damage the population, lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hopefully all us guys who fish the river regularly live long enough to see even more progress than we've seen in the passed 10 years or so. I remember my grandfather (who grew up in Wallington on the Passaic) telling me stories how when he was young, they would spend the day on "Atlas Beach", a small man maid "beach" along the Passaic. Also said him and his buddies would "swim from Wallington across the river to Passaic". No wonder the guy lived til almost 100 lol.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM
NJFishing.com Member

i was just reading about this

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...161610975.html
Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
Hopefully all us guys who fish the river regularly live long enough to see even more progress than we've seen in the passed 10 years or so. I remember my grandfather (who grew up in Wallington on the Passaic) telling me stories how when he was young, they would spend the day on "Atlas Beach", a small man maid "beach" along the Passaic. Also said him and his buddies would "swim from Wallington across the river to Passaic". No wonder the guy lived til almost 100 lol.
Its sad when you hear those kind of stories, cause you think about if you did it now, you'de get sick from whats in there or all the litter that might be on any type island in the river.

Hell even the historical bergen county page on facebook, when they show pics of people swimming on the hudson in alpine and how nice it used to be. Its urneal what we've done to this planet.