NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Best fw fighting fish?? Join the debate - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-22-2023, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Best fw fighting fish?? Join the debate

New episode where some njf anglers debate the best fw fighting fish, new episode link below:

https://youtu.be/UrhqmkyRYw4?si=bCViMUdLySiFnaaX
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 09-24-2023, 03:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Best fw fighting fish?? Join the debate

Not a question as asked anyone can answer. If you're talking about the biggest fight there is you'd have to include sturgeon. If you're talking about pound for pound you'd have to consider smallmouths and hybrids. If you're looking for a bulldog run you have to include carp, flatheads, blue catfish and musky. If you ever hooked a big Atlantic salmon, they're capable of spooling you in a heartbeat. All depends upon how you define best freshwater fighting fish.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Freshwater only. I still haven't hooked into a hybrid Bass yet, but I hear that's where the fight is at. That being said, I would say for power and strength would have to be a carp over 15 lb. Pound-pound would be river smallies but your buddy made a good point with the bluegills. And headshakes & aggression I would say a good sized pike. Big Hess put me on ur podcast a couple months ago, pretty cool. You guys might convince me to try for a skillfull angler in the future.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I actually change my answer. The best fresh water fighting fish is the one that happens to be on the end of your line at the time
Old 09-24-2023, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If they grew to 5#’s or better the ole’ red eyes would really bend a rod !
Old 09-24-2023, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Locally in NJ, hybrids. Pound for pound. Without question.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I dont care what anyone says but smallies are the fish that dont quit
Old 09-25-2023, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

any reason my first reply got deleted?.. No big deal just wondering. I certainly didn't write anything vulgar or objectionable. In any case, I'll try again - Carp fight as hard as anything else out there, and channel cats might even fight better. I have caught Pacific Salmon in the upstate creeks, and to me they did not fight any better than a similar sized carp or catfish.
LL Atlantics are fast and pull hard, but not sure they fight any better than a river SMB,, Both are leapers, and the Atlantic/LL is a more satisfying catch because they don't come near as easily as a SMB.. Pike and Muskies??? Yeah, they're ok, but no better a fighter than a Carp or Cat.. Still say ounce for ounce, a Bluegill is as tough as any FW fish in the NE, and tougher than most.. If they grew to 3 pounds, thats all I would fish for.. Years ago when I first came here in the early 90's, we would catch Bluegill and Pumpkinseeds of eye popping size all the time in Cayuga Lake,, We're talking 10 inchers maybe more, along with 12 inch Rock Bass and Perch every spring and summer.. just mammoth panfish... We used to get pissed when big SMB used to grab the tiny bits of worm, because we wanted the big fat sunnies to take home and eat! Then the Zebras showed up, and that was the end of that, and those masses of panfish disappeared in just a few short years.. If you've never caught a 1 lb sunnie and find it hard to relate, believe me they are very hard fighters...bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 09-25-2023 at 09:14 AM..
Old 09-25-2023, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

we can't forget any of the migratory fish like American shad. I had one fight itself onto dry land further down the bank from me, then hop back into the water and continue to fight long after without missing a beat!
those fish mentioned that migrate to spawn like the Atlantic salmon etc are crazy strong fighters
Old 09-25-2023, 01:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There was a farm pond I used to frequent with my father up in Addison, NY where my grandparents lived many years ago. Everytime we visited, we'd fish there. The pumpkin seeds and bluegills were gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen! Undoubtedly, they pulled like no other. Hard to imagine a 3 to 4 lb'er.

They also stocked a unquie hybrid catfish species. It's name slips my mind, but they jumped like crazy when hooked. It may have been a cross between channels and blues, but these, too, were absolutely massive. We'd see them cruising around and sitting inside tractor tires on the bottom when he brought the canoe. They were impressive. My father always targeted them. They were ruthless fighters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
any reason my first reply got deleted?.. No big deal just wondering. I certainly didn't write anything vulgar or objectionable. In any case, I'll try again - Carp fight as hard as anything else out there, and channel cats might even fight better. I have caught Pacific Salmon in the upstate creeks, and to me they did not fight any better than a similar sized carp or catfish.
LL Atlantics are fast and pull hard, but not sure they fight any better than a river SMB,, Both are leapers, and the Atlantic/LL is a more satisfying catch because they don't come near as easily as a SMB.. Pike and Muskies??? Yeah, they're ok, but no better a fighter than a Carp or Cat.. Still say ounce for ounce, a Bluegill is as tough as any FW fish in the NE, and tougher than most.. If they grew to 3 pounds, thats all I would fish for.. Years ago when I first came here in the early 90's, we would catch Bluegill and Pumpkinseeds of eye popping size all the time in Cayuga Lake,, We're talking 10 inchers maybe more, along with 12 inch Rock Bass and Perch every spring and summer.. just mammoth panfish... We used to get pissed when big SMB used to grab the tiny bits of worm, because we wanted the big fat sunnies to take home and eat! Then the Zebras showed up, and that was the end of that, and those masses of panfish disappeared in just a few short years.. If you've never caught a 1 lb sunnie and find it hard to relate, believe me they are very hard fighters...bob