NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Chix Livers - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-15-2015, 12:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Chix Livers

This is some great info!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Why this board is the best. Thanks for the input fellas. Walmart has elastic thread for very cheap...didnt know you get anything under $1 anymore...

And i'll toss some floss in the backpack as well. My last liver outing had some nice stripers as well as a couple channels. Hopefully similar success

Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 04:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
I know guys said trebles earlier but that is almost a guarantee for gut hooks unless your keeping the species of fish. a single hook u can cut off the line and it will rust away fish will live, a treble usually blocks the tongue and the fish will starve not being able to get food down to its gullet.
Sorry, let me clarify. The only night fishing with livers I partake in is for kitties. For this, I do use trebles and don't think I've ever gut hooked one. The important thing is not to sleep on the rod. If I see the tip start bouncing, I grab the rod. As soon as I feel like the fish has it in its mouth, I set the hook. Being barbless makes it easier to remove if they get two or all three of the hooks embedded which is still a rarity.

I seem to have more issues using single hooks with liver cause I usually use a smaller chunk and the bullheads just inhale it. Then I end up needing to cut the line and re-tie......
Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Line up the individual livers on an old wooden board in the full sun. Bake for a while & then flip.

Toughens up the outside for secure hooking,………inside remains soft, juicy & flavorful!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I save my trout heads from spring, or catch some suckers, gizzard shad or bluegills. Less messy, less of a pain, smells a heck of a lot better and works better for the bigger channel cats. Trout is my favorite followed by shad, suckers and finally bluegills rock bass etc
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 09-16-2015, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I caught a few chubs in the SB a week or so ago when fishing with my little girl. Considered using them as bait but wasnt sure on the regs so let it be. Is it kosher to keep minnows from the trout fisheries?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
The important thing is not to sleep on the rod. If I see the tip start bouncing, I grab the rod. As soon as I feel like the fish has it in its mouth, I set the hook. Being barbless makes it easier to remove if they get two or all three of the hooks embedded which is still a rarity.
Yes - this.
I am a recent convert to using barbless hooks. I am currently using a single 1/0 hook with the barb flattened with a pair of pliers. Even if the hook is all the way in the back of their mouth, it will slide out easily.

An angler can't set up 14 rods in the dark and not expect to deep-hook fish. Catfish swallow the bait quickly and hybrid stripers just attack the bait esophagus-first.

I hold the rod in my hand and feel the line for any takes. As soon as the line starts to move, I set the hook. I'm almost never too early on the strike and rarely deep-hook any fish this way.