NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Ramapo - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-26-2024, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Lake Ramapo

Had a nice hike around the lake on Saturday. First timer. Didn’t have a rod but looks like some sweet shore access. Anyone who has fished the lake have any tips? I’m tempted to hump in one of my lighter kayaks with a cart but that rock scramble from the lower lot is definitely a 2-man job. The path from the upper lot looks better: all downhill. But trip back up could be a major bummer.

I’ve read a few posts… some LMB and pickerel I guess. Anything of any size? I am assuming fishing pressure is fairly low, given how few people are willing to hike into a spot.

Making me think of buying a float tube I can carry on my back.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Lake Ramapo

A buddy and I used to bring in his canoe and beat up the LMB and Pickrel there in the early 2000s. Upper lot is definitely the way to go but the trip out is a killer. Never got anything bigger than 2.5 or so but made up for it with quantity. It was a really good spot then, I assume it should still be. There are a lot of good shore spots but it does get a lot of vegetation growth later in the year so it gets tougher from shore then. Id say its worth the effort. I have seen guys there in float tubes too.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I used to fish it in the 90's when it was called Rotten Pond. At that time it was loaded with slime darts that got pretty big and a fair number of LMB. Time has changed for the worse for Ramapo Lake/Pond.

Pressure is anything but low. You won't find a spot in either parking lot past 9:30 a.m. on weekends when the weather turns nice. Police are often out ticketing cars parked on the side of the road. The bucket brigade discovered this lake years ago and hammered it. I would say it probably isn't worth the effort to drag a kayak up (assuming it is legal to do so).
Old 02-27-2024, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis View Post
I used to fish it in the 90's when it was called Rotten Pond. At that time it was loaded with slime darts that got pretty big and a fair number of LMB. Time has changed for the worse for Ramapo Lake/Pond.

Pressure is anything but low. You won't find a spot in either parking lot past 9:30 a.m. on weekends when the weather turns nice. Police are often out ticketing cars parked on the side of the road. The bucket brigade discovered this lake years ago and hammered it. I would say it probably isn't worth the effort to drag a kayak up (assuming it is legal to do so).
That’s too bad. Hopefully I can get there mid-week a few times to see how it fishes. Very curious to see what I can coax out of there. And I do have a $300 float tube in my bps cart. Can’t seem to pull the trigger! There’s too many good kayak lakes I hit to feel the need I guess. But I’ve heard float tubing is a pretty cool way to access less pressured water.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I last fished it in 2001 and it was very disappointing from back in the good old days. By the good old days, I mean when the State took it over in 1976 and before anyone knew about it. We drove down lake side to Rotten Pond in my friends Duster with his 12' boat on the roof. The fishing was great but the lure selection was even better. Anywhere there was shore-access, lures were hanging in the trees and bushes and were easily accessible with the boat. We only went there that one time because they started locking the gate.

We also fished Bear Swamp Lake frequently, since we had access to that, lots of hammer handles and LM but no giants.

The place to fish back then was the Wanaque Reservoir, we would get a boat pass and go out with a guide from 8am to 3pm. The guide was used to big shots, so he enjoyed himself being able to take a few casts with us.

Aaah, the good old days. Enjoy what you have now because it isn't likely to get better.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nothing compared to the Wanaque with a guide. I fished the Ramapo with a float tube in the early 00’s. Went down and up with everything strapped to a bike. Good days and bad days. The greater the distance from shore the better.