NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Manasquan Reservoir Hybrids - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Manasquan Reservoir Hybrids

Went out with my Dad for a short 2 hour hybrid striper fishing on the Manasquan Reservoir on Friday night, and boy did it not disappoint. It was straight drop-and-reel fishing the entire time! All fish were either 15 feet of water, or from 23-26 feet of water. We marked schools of baitfish and schools stripers unloading on them. It was a 30 second wait once you got your bait in the water and BAM! it was on! The downside, however, is that all the fish were in the 10-12 inch range. This was our first time hybrid striper fishing anywhere, and it was a pretty big success. We both had over 20+ fish. We even got a couple of fish trolling deep diving crankbaits on the way back!

That being said, I have a couple of questions. Why were all the fish so small(though, it was a great fight for their size, especially on an ultralight)? How big do the hybrids get in the reservoir? Also, you always hear about the hybrids in LH and Spruce Run, but why don't you hear as much from the 'squan? Thanks in advance, from a rookie freshwater fisherman and boater.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Post Re: Manasquan Reservoir Hybrids

That's some great action! In my experience fish of the same size tend to school together, so you could have been on a school of smaller fish. What size bait were you guys using?

Manasquan HAS been on my list and I'm gonna try to get there this summer. I don't know why MR doesn't get that much attention, because hybrids seem to do well in every lake they stock them in. Maybe the fisherman over there are tight lipped.