NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Funny Story... still laughing... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Funny Story... still laughing...

I hit the Passaic River up at 2 bridges around 6pm yesterday.... Long story short, I casted a T-rigged weight less senko and wasnt paying attention and I landed in a tree.... I wasnt really paying attention to my senko as I was studying on how I could yank my line out of the tree without getting snagged... my senko was about 6 inches out of the water just dangling as I was moving my line to attempt to pull out of tree.. Well, wouldnt you believe it... a decent size (2lb +) smallie jumped out of the water and nailed the senko clean in the air which landed back in the water and pulled my line out the tree.... but wait, it doesnt stop there.... as i am reeling in the smallie in I get it about 6ft from shore when out of nowhere a huge PIKE (estimate at least 45") comes out of nowhere and slammed this smallie on the side taking it side sideways... It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen... the pike had the smallie and was trying to run with it and refused to let go... I managed to reel the smallie and Pike to me at the shore but I as I attempted to grab the pike at the back of the neck he finally let go... If I had my net I could netted both but I left it in the truck as I wasnt expecting to catch any pike.... the smallie had huge gashes on the sides.. Ill post pic of the smallie and its gash in a few....
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Funny Story... still laughing...

Pike are ferociuos and pretty brazen, I used to have a place on the st lawrence and if you left a lure hang over the side of the boat out of the water thay would chase it. I had them hit the boat when chasing it. When perch fishing they would follow the perch right up to the boat and eat them, it always scared the hell out of me, but it reminded me of who is at the top of the food chain in the water!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Years ago I saw a pike take a baby gooses side off and just about take it under w him. Was the most amazing thing I ever saw a freshwater fish do, they are ferocious when hungry and in that mode
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Funny Story... still laughing...

Fish gotta eat !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E4B...9461471FDA6E7A
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That must have been crazy to watch!! Not sure if I missed it, but has anyone else been gettin pike out of that area lately?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG
That must have been crazy to watch!! Not sure if I missed it, but has anyone else been gettin pike out of that area lately?
The pike are still there but are far and few in between right now... During the summer its brutal to catch giant pike... it can be done but its tough..... the big Pike action wont pick up again until maybe late August - Sept time frame....