NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Switched Hook Cost Fish....... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Switched Hook Cost Fish.......

Been doing really well at a local pond, been averaging between six or so almost everytime out. You know the old saying don't mess with something if its working and i did and it cost me three nice fish yesterday and i dont understand why????? My son and myself have been using senco's and a number 4 gami dropshot hook and almost never loose the fish but they seem to tear thru quickly so i bought number 1 mesquito hooks which seem to hold the bait better and its def a bigger hook. most of the fish had it good in the mouth and thats why i don't understand loosing three i hooked up kept the rod at the proper angle they made two or three runs then off????? No jumping or anything they all stayed down, REALLY upset me once in a while it happens but three in one trip? switched back to the gami dropshot hooks and didn't loose any more but had to bail just hit the dock when the monsoon opened up yesterday,,, What kind of hooks do you recommend? Gonna hit it again later today when my son gets home and see what happens today....
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Switched Hook Cost Fish.......

that sucks.. i hate when that happens.

i guess you are referring to numb 4 gama WITH THE SHORT SHANK??

i love that hook with live bait. i always go with the short shank at gin clear reservoirs like MC

dont mean to make this about me but what happens to me alot is i tend to use a 6 or 8 size at MC or the valley only bec i hav it in my mind that the fish will hit a smaller hook before they will hit a bigger hook like a size 4 for example

for whatever stupid reason.. i used to use size 10 hook fishing for smallmouth with herring for bait and it always worked for a better presentation to the fish, esp with conditioned smallies.. HOWEVER.. i lost 50% of all my 4 and 5 lbers up there on the small hooks.. but its a catch 22 for me bec i really believe that i get much more hook ups with the smaller hooks bec its just a more natural presentation i think

just go with your gut is my advice... confidence like in golf, is huge in our fishing success.

wow that was the biggest reply i think i ever wrote.. maybe its the beers flowing nicely.. lol
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the advice think im gonna stay with the smaller hook i guess i would rather loose senco's than fish lol.... Hey wouldn't mind hooking up with you and fishing for some smallies on the raritan i trout fish the bedminster area but never really fished for the smallies caught a few small ones there but would like to tangle with something a little nicer. Yea beers were def flowing good last night cause we never made it out this morning prob try in the pm........
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

yeah definately.. love to meet up..

im out of the country now.. wont be back to the states in a few months..

ttyl