NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sat Phones becoming more affordable. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Sat Phones becoming more affordable.

I have been looking into getting a satellite phone for a few years now and they just haven’t been in my price range till now.

Globalstar has launched a bunch a new satellites and from what everyone is saying the service is getting better every day as they get the new units up and running. They are scheduled to do their final launch later this year which will be the only 2nd generation communication satellites in service.
Due to the issues that Globalstar had over the last couple of years with their old satellites and it being next to impossible to get a signal, there are a lot of used Globalstar phones for sale. I picked one up on ebay the other day for $78.00. That’s a far cry from the $1,200.00 that they were selling for new at one point.

Globalstar has also addressed the fact that they got a horrible reputation for their sub-par service and are now offering an unlimited voice and data plan for only $39.99 a month. With this pricing I couldn’t pass it up. This is a nice feature to have when fishing offshore. I will now be able to stay offshore longer if I want, as I can call my wife and tell her what my plans are without having her worry about where the hell we are and possibly calling the coast guard when were over due back at the dock. Also it will allow us to talk to other boats offshore and give them some up to the min details without broadcasting it over the VHF for everyone in the world to hear. Not to mention being able to plug it into my laptop to get updated surface temp charts.

With the mild winter and last year being the best tuna bite that we have had in the past few years..... I am really excited for this season. I may even be able to break away from the deli enough to get double digit canyon trips in this year..... (I sure hope so)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sat Phones becoming more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantfan
I have been looking into getting a satellite phone for a few years now and they just haven’t been in my price range till now.

Globalstar has launched a bunch a new satellites and from what everyone is saying the service is getting better every day as they get the new units up and running. They are scheduled to do their final launch later this year which will be the only 2nd generation communication satellites in service.
Due to the issues that Globalstar had over the last couple of years with their old satellites and it being next to impossible to get a signal, there are a lot of used Globalstar phones for sale. I picked one up on ebay the other day for $78.00. That’s a far cry from the $1,200.00 that they were selling for new at one point.

Globalstar has also addressed the fact that they got a horrible reputation for their sub-par service and are now offering an unlimited voice and data plan for only $39.99 a month. With this pricing I couldn’t pass it up. This is a nice feature to have when fishing offshore. I will now be able to stay offshore longer if I want, as I can call my wife and tell her what my plans are without having her worry about where the hell we are and possibly calling the coast guard when were over due back at the dock. Also it will allow us to talk to other boats offshore and give them some up to the min details without broadcasting it over the VHF for everyone in the world to hear. Not to mention being able to plug it into my laptop to get updated surface temp charts.

With the mild winter and last year being the best tuna bite that we have had in the past few years..... I am really excited for this season. I may even be able to break away from the deli enough to get double digit canyon trips in this year..... (I sure hope so)
Great post. I'm also looking into getting a sat phone for this season - with the baby and my wife @ home for awhile those trips where we are out of cell range can be extended a bit whenever necessary.

With this info. I'm going to pursue this matter ASAP! Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Site Sponsor

Allen call me i get sat phones !!!!
43' Egg Harbor SF 25 Kt cruise Heat & Ac
Canyon River Club Marina Slip #1 407 Channel Drive Point Pleasant Beach New Jersey 08742
Jersey Hooker Outfitters
2016 HWY 88 Brick New Jersey 08724 ( 1/4 Mile East Of VanZile Road).

OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
Mon-Thurs 8am - 6pm
Fri-Sat 6am-6pm
Sun 6am-4pm

Check Out Our New E-Commerce Website www.Jerseyhooker.com
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wish I had known that Rich.....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Site Sponsor

Ted I have my hands in everything
43' Egg Harbor SF 25 Kt cruise Heat & Ac
Canyon River Club Marina Slip #1 407 Channel Drive Point Pleasant Beach New Jersey 08742
Jersey Hooker Outfitters
2016 HWY 88 Brick New Jersey 08724 ( 1/4 Mile East Of VanZile Road).

OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
Mon-Thurs 8am - 6pm
Fri-Sat 6am-6pm
Sun 6am-4pm

Check Out Our New E-Commerce Website www.Jerseyhooker.com
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Site Sponsor

Allen, having raised 2 of my 3 sons in the time before cell phones were common. I found some comfort in not knowing everything they did wrong until I got home. Just a little food for thought. By the way when are you luanching for the season?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHooker.Com
Allen call me i get sat phones !!!!
dude I just saw this gonna txt you in a few - ya shoulda said something to me yesterday LOL
Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog
Allen, having raised 2 of my 3 sons in the time before cell phones were common. I found some comfort in not knowing everything they did wrong until I got home. Just a little food for thought. By the way when are you luanching for the season?
steve we should be in 3/31 or 4/1 depending on weather and IF Clark's is ready (yesterday Mike said its doable)