NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Round Valley trout fishing from shore - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Round Valley trout fishing from shore

Right now is a great time and only gonna get better those trout are cruising the shoreline no doubt!!! There’s just too much going on right now probably why for the lack of anglers. Guys are hunting being the rut is in progress, stripers in the salt,steelhead, a lot is going on now. As far as the Rvta we usually post more updated posts on our Facebook page more then the website.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 11-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax2244 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

A friend of a friend caught a small, but handsome little hook-jawed Tiger Trout out of the boat launch cove Yesterday.. Took a shiner. Also caught a few lmb, nothing big. He soaked power bait as well but no takers
How big was the tiger? Probably a fish we stocked with the club back a few months ago.... they seem to be doing good
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 11-07-2020, 07:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I’ve only been able to get there on the weekends. We get there at dawn and stay until somewhere between 10am -12pm. There are some fishermen but there aren’t that many and everyone is spread out for the most part. There seems to Not anywhere close to the hoardes that were there over the summer. Years ago in the fall, the shoreline around the boat launch was always packed with guys in between the two ramps, on the rocks and on the shore across from the ramp. It’s nowhere near that and hasn’t been for years.

The RVTA message board had steady reports back in the day and for awhile Round Valley Fishing had a lot of reports but no more. Seems like the interest in the Fall shoreline Trout fishing has waned.

I don’t remember 2016 off-hand as a great season, but I also don’t remember it being as bad as this one. I had good luck every year until 2020.

Mako, With regard to Rangers Cove, that area is now maybe 10’ deep in the middle.

Mark, Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen your posts in the past and you always seem to hook something!
Let us know how you do!
Ranger Cove is filling fast from weed die-off. Summer of 2016, I went all the way into the back of it and it was absolutely filled by many dozens of big carp.

The state record brown trout got caught from shore. Over 20 pounds, I believe, so that was just part of the motive to get out and do that. The Fisherman magazine used to cover freshwater more extensively, always reported on RVR. I was in RVTA for a few years and relished the stories about the reservoir's heyday. They had so many more members back then. It's all about the herring, really. Or smaller than that. The microorganisms they would feed on.

Largemouth bass used to be bigger, too. I fished it in 1978, aged 17, from my 12-foot Starcraft with a brother. The many largemouths we caught averaged two pounds.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
How big was the tiger? Probably a fish we stocked with the club back a few months ago.... they seem to be doing good
You made a good point about people being busy pursuing other outdoor opportunities. Fall is prime time!

I don’t have an exact measurement but it looked like somewhere between 12-14”. Bright fall colors and good proportions. Those Tigers are pretty fish. My son is itching to catch one. Hopefully we get one this fall.

Thank you to the RVTA for adding some variety to the reservoir and working to preserve the fishery. It’s awesome that you guys are trying to get the browns re-established. There used to be monsters In there as Bruce pointed out.

Bruce, I remember seeing those LARGE carp there years ago. They seemed to show themselves between mid May and June, suspended near the surface over weed beds. They’re probably still around, but I haven’t tried looking for them in recent years.

In a slightly related matter, I stopped by Echo Lake in Mountainside yesterday afternoon and wet a line for half an hour soaking powerbait with no action. It’s fall trout stocked. I talked with a young angler who frequents the lake. He said that the trout fishing has been “off” and he has only managed 4 fish over 5 trips which is much less productive than prior years. He said the few fish he has caught favored live bait worms/mealworms over powerbait.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We finally got one this morning on power bait. Made my son’s day. 17” rainbow. Persistence pays off. Hopefully the pic shows up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7258751A-F1D6-41A6-89EF-BC4A4AE4E821.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	146110  
Old 11-14-2020, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice, man. Awesome pic. The smile says it all, love to see that
Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
You made a good point about people being busy pursuing other outdoor opportunities. Fall is prime time!

I don’t have an exact measurement but it looked like somewhere between 12-14”. Bright fall colors and good proportions. Those Tigers are pretty fish. My son is itching to catch one. Hopefully we get one this fall.

Thank you to the RVTA for adding some variety to the reservoir and working to preserve the fishery. It’s awesome that you guys are trying to get the browns re-established. There used to be monsters In there as Bruce pointed out.

Bruce, I remember seeing those LARGE carp there years ago. They seemed to show themselves between mid May and June, suspended near the surface over weed beds. They’re probably still around, but I haven’t tried looking for them in recent years.

In a slightly related matter, I stopped by Echo Lake in Mountainside yesterday afternoon and wet a line for half an hour soaking powerbait with no action. It’s fall trout stocked. I talked with a young angler who frequents the lake. He said that the trout fishing has been “off” and he has only managed 4 fish over 5 trips which is much less productive than prior years. He said the few fish he has caught favored live bait worms/mealworms over powerbait.
Nice 17-inch rainbow.

Yeah, when I saw the carp, they did the exact same. It really surprised me. I had no idea such carp are in the reservoir. You hear about big eels caught, some channel cats, but I've near heard of anyone catching carp.