NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Interesting Warm Nov Rain - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Interesting Warm Nov Rain

I didn't get out & fish today, but I certainly took notice of the unusual combination of 70 degrees, rain & clouds, and November....after three or four days in the 70's. I've written about warm rains late in September and early October, when water temperature is rising slightly, and bass sometimes go nuts. I wonder how anyone else did for bass today.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Interesting Warm Nov Rain

Yesterday, I fished a Non Trout classified, trout stocked section of the South Branch Raritan River. Caught 2 SMB's and 0 trout, which indicates that the water is still warm. The cold front coming through right now, and continuing colder weather will have the trout biting in the near future.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

All that gear and no $10 stream thermometer??
I'm guessing no temp takin?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishy View Post
All that gear and no $10 stream thermometer??
I'm guessing no temp takin?
I just go off the manville raritan gage and assume it's in the same ballpark
Old 11-12-2020, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Yesterday, I fished a Non Trout classified, trout stocked section of the South Branch Raritan River. Caught 2 SMB's and 0 trout, which indicates that the water is still warm. The cold front coming through right now, and continuing colder weather will have the trout biting in the near future.
it's def not warm (mid to high 50's in most spots depending), but it did trend upward in temp the last week, so maybe that didn't have them happy.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The South Branch is heavily spring fed. The temperature at Califon is in the 40’s so it depends on where you are.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We wanted to take advantage of the warm weather and went to Ct. on Monday, got out in the boat on a nearby river for 1 1/2 hrs., sunny with an air temp in the mid 70's, water temp was 47 degrees after a few casts I got a 14" YP on a hair jig and that was it for bites but a beautiful day none the less!

Tuesday, 6 hrs. on the lake, blue bird skies, air temp mid 70's and water temp started at 52 and varied from spot to spot up to 56 degrees. Caught a little of everything on homemade hair jigs in 5 to 12 fow, 8 to 10 Rainbows, a Brown, a couple dozen YP, a similar number of pickerel, 3 LM, a few BG and a rockbass.

The rains on Wednesday were suppose to start about noon with an air temp of 66 degrees, got out for 3 hrs. and water temps were 52 to 54 degrees but not the day we were hoping for. Dropped a couple in the beginning with one feeling good but ended up with about a dozen YP and a similar number of pickerel with a few trout follows to the boat. So much for high expectations of seemingly ideal conditions. lol

I'm not a fan of pickerel because I don't like getting bit off but ironically all of the toothies get hooked on the outside of the mouth with hair jigs whereas the YP and bass will destroy the deer hair on the jigs and I need to remake 4 or 5 hair jigs.

Last edited by oelgnal1; 11-12-2020 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelgnal1 View Post
We wanted to take advantage of the warm weather and went to Ct. on Monday, got out in the boat on a nearby river for 1 1/2 hrs., sunny with an air temp in the mid 70's, water temp was 47 degrees after a few casts I got a 14" YP on a hair jig and that was it for bites but a beautiful day none the less!

Tuesday, 6 hrs. on the lake, blue bird skies, air temp mid 70's and water temp started at 52 and varied from spot to spot up to 56 degrees. Caught a little of everything on homemade hair jigs in 5 to 12 fow, 8 to 10 Rainbows, a Brown, a couple dozen YP, a similar number of pickerel, 3 LM, a few BG and a rockbass.

The rains on Wednesday were suppose to start about noon with an air temp of 66 degrees, got out for 3 hrs. and water temps were 52 to 54 degrees but not the day we were hoping for. Dropped a couple in the beginning with one feeling good but ended up with about a dozen YP and a similar number of pickerel with a few trout follows to the boat. So much for high expectations of seemingly ideal conditions. lol

I'm not a fan of pickerel because I don't like getting bit off but ironically all of the toothies get hooked on the outside of the mouth with hair jigs whereas the YP and bass will destroy the deer hair on the jigs and I need to remake 4 or 5 hair jigs.
Excellent catches on Tuesday! Yeah, even when warm rains come in early October, they're not always productive. I did fish one when I was 15, which could have killed me. I wouldn't have done it after I grew up, because lighting was striking not many yards from where I fished, and a tornado watch was out. I feel sure especially low barometric pressure turned the bass on. Made them insane. Some of them actually leapt out of the water to land on my buzzed spinnerbait. I actually hooked and caught one that first cleared the water by more than a foot and then landed--mouth open--on top of my spinnerbait. I caught 32 that afternoon. One of them four pounds, three others over 3. I've caught more bass than that other times, other places, but it was my best catch from those ponds, which I fished very often.