NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Penn Fathom or Avet? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Penn Fathom or Avet?

I'm in the process of putting together a heavier bottom fishing set up. I'm using a fish poison blackfish rod and Avet SX for most of my bottom fishing. It seems to do very well with 40lb braid and up to about 8 ounces. I'd like something I can fish with a little more weight, and in deeper water. I think I have the rod figured out, but I could use some advice on the reel. I really like my Avet SX and planned to buy an MXL, but the Penn fathom lever drag has caught my attention. It seems to get good reviews, is quite a bit cheaper, and has a 33lb drag. The Avet ,however looks better, is made in the US, and has worked well for me in the past. Anyone care to share an opinion on those two? ( another choice is a Maxell Ocean Max, it cost a few dollars more and seems like it might be overkill for bottom fishing, even in deep water.)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Penn Fathom or Avet?

I like my Avets, but for bottom fishing would choose a star drag reel every time. They can put out drag all day that would crush the pinion bearing on an SX or MX series reel. If your heart is set on a lever drage. one of the strong points of the Fathom LDs is that they use thrust bearings that are much more rugged than the bearings used in the small Avets.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had the same dilemma, looking for the right reel/rod combo for cod/tile fishing.

I finally decided on a Penn US113N, which is the current version of the venerable Baja Special. Spooled it with 65 lb metered powerpro and hung it on a St. Croix PM79XXXH Muskie rod.

I believe this setup is going to work well for tuna jigging also.

As far as the Avets go, I have a SX that I love, I sold a MXL unused because I couldn't figure out a use for it. It was almost identical to the SX in performance, but simply bigger. I didn't need the extra line capacity in that reel range.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'd consider getting an SXJ and use that for your lighter setup and make the SX you have your heavier setup. There is no point in heavy drags... If you're using 40lb braid, 1/3 of that is only 12lbs. Both the fathom and the SX/SXJ are good reels, it all comes down to personal preference. Even the price point is about the same. If you are used to lever drag and comfortable with it then go with the SXJ. If you want to try a star drag then consider the Fathom 12. I'm slowly switching all my reels out to SXJ's, its pretty much all you need for anything we do inshore. The MX is the same drag specs as the SX just more wasted line capacity you dont need and a lot heavier. Plus believe it or not the SX/SXJ has more torque then the MXJ/MXL... trust me.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have an Avet MXL i use for my deep water drops and heavier fishing. Great reel. Holds a ton of line. I have no issues with it at all. For the price its a great reel

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks guys. Lots of different opinions. Just to clarify, I like a lever drag, I want to fill it with 65 braid, and will use it in 300'+ of water. No thoughts on the Maxel ocean max reels?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
...There is no point in heavy drags...
I agree, and mentioned it only because there are guys who like to fish with the drag buttoned down, which is not something you want to do with any SX series.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiaducks View Post
Thanks guys. Lots of different opinions. Just to clarify, I like a lever drag, I want to fill it with 65 braid, and will use it in 300'+ of water. No thoughts on the Maxel ocean max reels?
I've heard only good things about the Ocean Max reels, but never used one.

Given that your talking about fishing 300+ feet of water, you'll also be using anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs of lead. Make sure you take that into account when looking at the reels and their gear ratios. IMHO, the Avet SX/MX would definitely be the wrong reel for that application. You'll want something around a 4:1 gear ratio, so you don't kill yourself checking your bait every 15 minutes. Depending on the money you want to spend, you could also consider a 2-speed reel.

I personally prefer a star drag for bottom fishing, I feel levers are best for trolling.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiaducks View Post
What are you fishing for in 300+ft of water? I know guys that tilefish in 1000ft and only use 50lb braid... The Ocean Max series is another good one, I use an 05 as well with good success. The same guys fishing for tiles love the larger size, but quite more then the Avets.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Tilefish, grouper, black bellied rose fish, and some deep seabass...all from party boats. I've narrowed the benefits down to this: Avet-I really like them, Fathom-better drag, Maxel-most robust.