NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Duhernal - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-29-2015, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Question Duhernal

Hi guys. Anyone try fishing Duhernal lake and the other 2 sections? I have tried couple times with no luck. I did see a couple small bass n some bait fish. Just wondering if anyone has had any success or any issues...Also what about the Wellfield area in Sayerville. Anyone try fishing, says its only for Sayerville residents?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Duhernal

I tried getting access to Duhernal when I worked down there. Never had any luck, heard it was private. I did have some better luck at DeVoe and Helmetta pond. I think both are 10 minutes away from Duhernal. Both have decent shore access. A lot of pickerel, but there are bass.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I live seconds from the spots catfish mentioned. If u hit devoe, stick to the areas by the dam. There's deeper water there. The rest of the lake is grossly choked out with weeds for the most part. Helmetta pond is very similar. Very choked out with weeds aside from the creek channel that runs from the pier to the other side of the lake. I've plucked small bass and darts outta there with soft plastics. Guys ice fish helmetta pond, too. Not sure how well it froze up this year, though.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yeah I know about both. I have fished Helmetta with same results as you guys. Never tried DeVoe, there is that fence that surrounds most of it and usually it looks like a jungle in there.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

duhernal loaded with pickeral behind the stewarts good early spring before the weeds take over
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Bassman View Post
Yeah I know about both. I have fished Helmetta with same results as you guys. Never tried DeVoe, there is that fence that surrounds most of it and usually it looks like a jungle in there.
For devoe, u can park by the vfw or whatever it is and fish that fenced shoreline with no problems. You can also go down Main Street and park behind immaculate conception church/school by the rectory and have easy access to both the dam and spill way below it. Pickerel, bass, and panfish like gills and black crappie can be had in those areas. Smaller spinnerbaits around the top of the dam work best to lure fish outta the weed beds. Below, I fish trout magnets and small jigs under a float for panfish. I've seen keeper bass in there. When caught, I toss them back up into devoe rather than have them live in that spillway...

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Jigman - Thanks for the info I'll have to try it out this year...did some looking online, seems that Duhernal is private but they don't bother people fishing. They are more concerned with atv riders, and also people hunting ducks
Old 01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Drunk dirt bikers and quad riders galore back there... Never saw the duck hunters, but I have seen old Russian guys using multiple hook hand lines back there, bottom fishing with worms. They, too, were pretty wasted lol...