NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pier / Surf rod question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Pier / Surf rod question

What size rod should I get for the Keansburg Fishing Pier? I also want to go surf fishing a few times when on vacation each year. I'm not opposed to getting 2 rods but having trouble figuring out sizes.

I was able to get a brand new Penn Battle II 6000 reel/9 foot rod combo for 1/2 price due to an issue I had but is that too much for a pier? The 6000 reel seems too big for most 7 and 8 foot rods so I don't think I can really use it with different rods. The price just seems too good to send back though.

Other option is I can buy the Penn Battle II 5000 reel for $69 at Walmart and then get two rods, though not sure which ones. Total cost would be much higher though.

Appreciate any input.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pier / Surf rod question

Why not visit any sponsored bait and tackle shop on this site and ask for help, you can probably find the same deal/reel as you would at a major retailer.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pier / Surf rod question

I fish the pier often, what I recommend is to get a 7'5 MH rod and set it up for any kind of action. Then use your rod/reel combination that u now have for chunking bait at the pier thats what I usually do work for me. The smaller rod I use for fluke, porgies, and even put a saki rig on for snappers when they r around. I say medium heavy so that u can even tie a steel leader on to it and throw some metal or plugs quickly as when the fish break on top or are around u can change out quickly and be ready to snag bunker which also come around. The pier has been good to me it has a 2 rod maximum per person so I usually take different rigs see what's biting and go from there, trick to fishing keansburg is to always have fresh bait in the water. Good luck let me know if u have any questions ill be happy to help. P.S. Cathy is great! wonderful person who will help u out I always ask her questions she knows the pier well.