NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

PR Pike - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: PR Pike

Also Pike may not be the safest fish to catch for a child. Even at age 47, my first reaction to hooking pike is "Cool!". My next reaction, however, is "Oh sh*t!" because they are a b*tch to deal with(sharp teeth and violent shaking head is not a good combination) and release safely
Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbaiter View Post
U have to get away from the 3 or 4 bridge crossings where everybody else goes. You really need to hike FAR from the bridges...

Good advice.
I haven't fished the Passaic yet this year, but the few times I went last summer, the 'bridges' area got so crowded it was comical.

After I unloaded my kayak in the parking lot, the first thing I had to do is climb down to to the group of idiots all fishing on top of one another right next to the bridge and try to convince them to disperse so I can launch my kayak.

I tell them the fishing is better if they walk down the trail. Some of them do, but the ones that don't usually have expensive lures snagged on the rocks beneath the bridge and they're waiting for me to launch so I can unsnag their lures for them.

If there is already somebody kayak-fishing when I am about to launch, they do the "Three Bridges Shuffle" and start quickly casting their lures while paddling away from me. The goal is to get well ahead of the next kayak while still hitting all the high-probability areas on your way out.

I won't even get into how noisy the area is or how uncomfortable you feel fishing in someone's backyard because their house backs right up to the river.

Screw that area.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My first time to that area on a July saturday a few years back - at 10am - there were no cars. I fished unmolested for about 6 hrs and caught numerous pike, lmb and even a few bonus pickerel. Every trip since, multiple cars and few fish. The more pike reports that appeared here, the more cars there were. In fact last three trips, nada. Its too "open" now(at least heading downstream) because of the tree removal and too easy to access. I prefer the jungle stuff in other sections because at least that keeps the bridge folk away. I'll take poison ivy and mosquitoes over annoying people anytime
Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hopefully this post doesn't ruin my quiet evenings of fishing! Lol I honestly lived 5 min from there and never knew it existed until recently. When it dries out, you can hike back pretty far and it all looks promising. My buddy has caught a few pike not even a half mile from that bridge. By the time I get there at night I'm beat and don't feel like walking anymore lol, so I plop with my hot dogs and 6 pack and catch catfish and pike
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbaiter View Post
The more pike reports that appeared here, the more cars there were. In fact last three trips, nada.

The internet burned that spot badly. When news broke about the fishing at that the bridges, there was a stampede. People came from as far away as New York to fish that spot.

I can't say I was any better. I was one of the sheep in the stampede!

Is was good in the beginning and I caught some notable Smallmouth Bass, but as the summer wore on, the fish either died or got tired of being caught everyday and stop biting.

You know your spot has been burned when it looks like this on a Saturday:

Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the advise, he's 14 and in better physical shape then I am, football and especially wrestling for the last few years has him all jacked up

I only get him every other weekend, the other he is with my ex so with that i really wana make the most of our time and it's getting frustrating for me to the point i'm about ready to offer one of you cash to be a guide

Last edited by Tightlines74; 07-10-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 05:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

There are Northerns from one end of the Big P to the other.

Also on the Pompton and Rockaway.

Put your time in and you'll catch some.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer View Post
There are Northerns from one end of the Big P to the other.

Also on the Pompton and Rockaway.

Put your time in and you'll catch some.
I have used google earth, went on scouting drives solo and we been out fishing for them just about every other weekend when I have him since april. He has a thing about wanting to catch every species of fish and he's done well except for the pike to the point as i mentioned it's becoming frustrating for me as I want him to really enjoy his time fishing with me
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Wow my bad guys. Didnt mean to blow up the spot. That is the only spot I have fished the Passaic from shore. I found it 2yrs ago on google maps. Dont get to get up there that much, but I have never had a problem with it being crowded. Occasionally a couple of cars but the people r usually sitting in them. I feel like the fishing goes down when the county goes in and removes the trees layin across the river. I know they have to but those are good habitats for the fish and usually produce for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was pissed when they removed a ton of them. Fortunately Hurricane Sandy came along and replenished the river. Its full of them again.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 07-10-2014 at 06:11 PM..