NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What's eating my bait?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-20-2020, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Question What's eating my bait??

Hi guys,

New here

I tried fishing at a small river last night. It's a tributary that goes into the Raritan River (about a mile away). I had bluegill cutbait on a 2/0 circle hook and got bites almost instantly. Water was pretty murky and maybe 3'-5' deep? The rod tip would keep getting tapped and when I pull, nothing. But the cutbait was all ripped up. I tried with worms on smaller hooks and still couldn't get a hookset. The rod tip wouldn't ever stay bent but something does seem to carry the bait just a bit before it drops. Any ideas what this might be?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: What's eating my bait??

https://youtu.be/FQzmmENBvLk
Old 06-20-2020, 01:54 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Luciano View Post
I haven't seen any turtles in that entire stretch of water. No turtles poking their heads out either...
Old 06-20-2020, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: What's eating my bait??

Eels, you would be surprised how many there are.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Yeah ive had similar nights on the d and r and millstone. Eels are definitely annoying some nights
Old 06-21-2020, 12:11 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Ooh interesting. I'll try downsizing my hooks and bait? Thanks for the input
Old 06-21-2020, 12:13 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomBouncer13 View Post
Yeah ive had similar nights on the d and r and millstone. Eels are definitely annoying some nights
I'll try catching those then I guess
Old 06-21-2020, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Catch the eels, stun them a bit, stick a hook through their head and toss it back in!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymm1t View Post
Hi guys,

New here

I tried fishing at a small river last night. It's a tributary that goes into the Raritan River (about a mile away). I had bluegill cutbait on a 2/0 circle hook and got bites almost instantly. Water was pretty murky and maybe 3'-5' deep? The rod tip would keep getting tapped and when I pull, nothing. But the cutbait was all ripped up. I tried with worms on smaller hooks and still couldn't get a hookset. The rod tip wouldn't ever stay bent but something does seem to carry the bait just a bit before it drops. Any ideas what this might be?
With the set up you were using (2/0 Circle Hook), I'm assuming you were fishing for catfish.Even if you downsized your hook size to a #6 and used the same cut bait, the small fish (and I assume that's what they were) will tear at it and keep pecking at the meat. Sunnies and bluegills, chubs, shiners are all likely culprits. Eels seldom chew or nibble. Miniature small mouths are everywhere and can cannibalize a bait. Depending how small or large your hook is might be where you are going wrong. Small hooks can catch even oversized fish but hooks that are too large generally do not find their way into the mouths of small fish.

I've had bluegills pull on a bait and drag a small bobber for quite a distance without ever getting close to the hook. It's hard to offer a legitimate answer to your question. Were you fishing with a split shot of some sort or were you using a bobber? Did the fish run with the bait or did it just nibble? My guess is that it was a small fish of some sort or even a bunch of small fish that were chewing on the meat. Next time, use a live sunny on your 2/0. You might be very surprised!
Old 06-26-2020, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What's eating my legs?

Wet wade fishing in the Delaware River, I've had schools of minnows nipping at the hairs on my legs. And, something bigger gave a good nip to the back of my thigh. That was startling! It happened again and I got a glimpse of the culprit,.....an eel. I was standing still, fishing w/crawdad tails for channel cats. The minnows thought my leg hairs were worms, the eel probably thought I was dead meat.