NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River Pike - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Passaic River Pike

I watched a couple of youtube videos on Pike fishing in the Passaic and was really intrigued. I went to Passaic River Park and just went for it. I missed one who was really aggressive and hit my bait 3 times. (I was standing on a tree and it was about 3 foot from the bank.) I found it to be really hard to bank fish and the river was really small where I was. Anyone have any experience there and help a guy out? I've always been a bass guy and would love to land a pike.
Thank you!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Passaic River Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingwithDon View Post
I watched a couple of youtube videos on Pike fishing in the Passaic and was really intrigued. I went to Passaic River Park and just went for it. I missed one who was really aggressive and hit my bait 3 times. (I was standing on a tree and it was about 3 foot from the bank.) I found it to be really hard to bank fish and the river was really small where I was. Anyone have any experience there and help a guy out? I've always been a bass guy and would love to land a pike.
Thank you!
wire leaders, any bass lures, and try different spots, you can head more downstream for more water, it's low right now. Try spots where it's wooded and not grassy from satellite imagery. Fortunately the tree canopies are thick along the passaic, as well as frequent flooding, so and it limits growth of nasty jungle crap on the bottom terrain (as far as i understand) and therefore those stretches are easy to walk through.

Id suggest barbless hooks, long pliers, and a rubber landing net too. Unhooking pike is a pain in the @##!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Be prepared to handle something with teeth up to 40". Wire or 50lb+ fluorocarbon leader are mandatory. They go apeshit when hooked, so a net is definitely smart. They are literally everywhere in the river, I've caught them as far downstream as Newark and I know guys who catch them as far upstream as near the headwaters. Pools and laydowns are your best bet.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-07-2020, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

echoing skunk. they are a real handful and will cut you to shreds. stay away from boga grips as the fish will literally tear its jaw off a net is your best friend.

i use only single hook lures (swim baits, spinner baits, swim jigs, etc) with the barb pinched to make unhooking easier. you are asking for trouble with treble hooks.

one of my favorite NJ fisheries good luck
Old 07-07-2020, 04:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I just started fishing the Passaic River for pike this year. Absolutely awesome fish. I have been fishing the river near Florham Park and have caught pike up to 28 inches but my goal is to catch one over 30 inches. I have hit the stretch pretty hard and they are all 20 to 28 inches, so I guess I need to move upstream or downstream to see if I can beat my PB.

Leader material and a net are both a must (just like they stated above).
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Pike fishing on the river this spring and summer has been good. Be prepared to lose some lures at times. Regarding leaders, I had one slice through 40 pound fluorocarbon like it wasn’t even there. Most of the time you can get away with it and be just fine, but if they catch it just right say goodbye. Some people say wire leaders result in fewer strikes, but I say they result in less heartache also. Shorter 9-12 inch ones are more convenient for casting under tress etc. just make sure they have a quality snap that doesn’t open easily...I’ve lost fish that way too.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate01 View Post
Some people say wire leaders result in fewer strikes, but I say they result in less heartache also. Shorter 9-12 inch ones are more convenient for casting under tress etc. just make sure they have a quality snap that doesn’t open easily...I’ve lost fish that way too.
Nah, i think it's far fetched that it causes fewer strikes. especially with pike and in the stained waters of the passaic. I was catching bass and panfish in the raritan river with the same leaders too.

Big importance on the snaps tho like you stated, I havent lost any fish yet due to it but I always make sure they're tight with a set of pliers.