NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Striped bass: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Exclamation Striped bass:

New Jersey Conservation Officers Association
·
CPO Klitz conducted an evening patrol in Barnegat Light where, just prior to dark, he observed a recreational fishing vessel returning to the municipal ramp. Upon inspection, the fishermen claimed they had three legal-sized striped bass located in a rear hatch of the vessel. CPO Klitz noticed the fishermen appeared nervous and eager to end the inspection. CPO Klitz located the three striped bass and began inspecting additional compartments on the vessel. Located in a live-well under the seat were an additional 19 striped bass, filling the live-well to capacity. Summonses were issued for 19 striped bass over the daily limit, seven undersized striped bass, and two oversized striped bass. The defendant plead guilty to possessing 19 striped bass over the daily limit for a total penalty of $1900.00. From the January 2024 Bureau of Law Enforcement report to the Fish and Game Council.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Striped bass:

Fine should've been $19,000 and loss of privileges salt and fresh water for 10 years. Confiscate their equipment and boat, auction it off and use the proceeds to fund more law enforcement resources.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Striped bass:

I was just wondering if he signed up for the Saltwater Registry ?
Old 03-11-2024, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Didn’t take long for the poaching to get started along the Raritan bayshore. Funny how everyone on the planet knows what’s going on but nothing is done.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 03-11-2024, 04:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We'll be seeing "grouper" as dinner specials in some local restaurants...

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!
Old 03-11-2024, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Fine should've been $19,000 and loss of privileges salt and fresh water for 10 years. Confiscate their equipment and boat, auction it off and use the proceeds to fund more law enforcement resources.
I agree. The penalty should be much more severe.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Easy fellows' penalties were fine, and the police work good case closed. The whole country is falling apart. Commercial fishing are the ones killing our fishery.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHGERE View Post
Commercial fishing are the ones killing our fishery.
Not in the case of striped bass.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Commercial fisheries are materially more at fault in just about every failing or failed fishery but recreational has a big impact on stripers. The amount of illegal poaching taking place with stripers is disgusting and a $100 a fish fine won't change behavior. You want teeth in law enforcement, make the penalties hurt or as you admit the world will continue falling apart because in the world we live in today anything goes without consequences. A slap on the wrist doesn't cut it.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I dunno, I guess I don't understand the need to poach, and take the chance these guys took and lost.. We're not talking stretching one 17 3/4 fluke so it 'makes the cut" here... Do these guys need this meat to "feed their families"?
Lots of free food out there these days, food pantries everywhere... Are they selling them?... I never thought Stripers were all that great anyway, they seemed to me to have an oily rag kind of taste for some reason.. Not awful, but not great... I tend to be VERY naive' about everything, and try and see the more positive side of human nature, so instead of saying these guys are low life slime I just shake my head and try and think "what was the mindset?... Why was this necessary? Was selling these fish going to bring them big bucks?.. Was an extra hundred$$ or two going to make them rich?... If you can afford to live in NJ, is the price of a few hundred pound of poached in the round striper going to put you over the top?.... Honestly,, I just don't get it, why are we always seeing these stories?... bob
Closed Thread