NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

State parks reopen Saturday May 2nd.: - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-29-2020, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: State parks reopen Saturday May 2nd.:

not sure what the 'too soon' is about.

We already have small, packed, non-closed town parks. Re-opening these large state parks and county parks will spread the folk out.

I figured they're re-opening because closing was a failure; it just condensed more people to do other activities.

The only change the state should do is do some enforcement in the parks; limit parking/capacity and demand people to wear masks. The same rules we see in cramped, indoor, areas like stores.

Im all for keeping the lower trend, but not convinced parks were a problem in the first place.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'll be laying low now for the next month. I'm in the too soon camp. People won't be able to control themselves. Going to buy a months work of provisions so I can stay out of the grocery store when wave two comes.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
not sure what the 'too soon' is about.
For me, personally, fishing is basically my one and only therapy...my time away from work, the mrs, the kids and most outside forms of stress. That's under pre-covid circumstances.

Now, it's a matter of self preservation as my kids need me alive and well more so than I need fishing. My fiance needs me more than fishing. And my parents, who are over 65 and whom I'm extremely close with, do not need one more means of infection via me exposing myself and becoming a carrier.

One might ask "is the vampire jigman overthinking this?"

No, I'm not. If our president took this more seriously in late january/early February chances are we're well ahead of the game versus where we are now. But that's a discussion for another time.

Anyhow, it's a matter of perspective thmyorke. And kids add a shitload of perspective to life. As do the elderly or at-risk people in our lives who we may not have appreciated as much as we will now.

My point is, we didnt rush into more drastic measures as a country/society when this popped up. It royally f'ed up NYC and NJ. I mean shit, I'm starting furlough next week bc of it. Minute sample size of the impact. We cant rush out of it. The virus doesn't give a flying shit who it infects. And many people arent sanitizing per the CDCs recos. I cant chance fate to others or my government right now. I have to consider longevity in life. Fishing will always be there. And hopefully, so will I. But I'll gladly wait a few more weeks--for myself, for my family and for all of you reading this post.

And I've been doing a number on the stripers the last 4 weeks lol. Solo missions. Back bay
Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I believe State officials are a also worried about the growing resistance to travel and other restrictions which many consider the overly heavy hand of government. Things could quickly get out of control, especially in urban areas where people have less alternatives with regard to space.

Just think about civil unrest with COVID-19 thrown in.

Dave
Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
For me, personally, fishing is basically my one and only therapy...my time away from work, the mrs, the kids and most outside forms of stress. That's under pre-covid circumstances.

Now, it's a matter of self preservation as my kids need me alive and well more so than I need fishing. My fiance needs me more than fishing. And my parents, who are over 65 and whom I'm extremely close with, do not need one more means of infection via me exposing myself and becoming a carrier.

One might ask "is the vampire jigman overthinking this?"

No, I'm not. If our president took this more seriously in late january/early February chances are we're well ahead of the game versus where we are now. But that's a discussion for another time.

Anyhow, it's a matter of perspective thmyorke. And kids add a shitload of perspective to life. As do the elderly or at-risk people in our lives who we may not have appreciated as much as we will now.

My point is, we didnt rush into more drastic measures as a country/society when this popped up. It royally f'ed up NYC and NJ. I mean shit, I'm starting furlough next week bc of it. Minute sample size of the impact. We cant rush out of it. The virus doesn't give a flying shit who it infects. And many people arent sanitizing per the CDCs recos. I cant chance fate to others or my government right now. I have to consider longevity in life. Fishing will always be there. And hopefully, so will I. But I'll gladly wait a few more weeks--for myself, for my family and for all of you reading this post.

And I've been doing a number on the stripers the last 4 weeks lol. Solo missions. Back bay
I see, jigman, I do agree the drastic measures came too late. And you make perfect sense when you ask why the state doesn't wait just a few more weeks to leave parks closed with the good trend. Though i think the park closures to begin with was a failure with how ppl are still packing in crowds in smaller town parks, urban streets, and other walking spots. Id wish something sooner and more complete was enforced earlier.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishy View Post
I'm on the too soon boat also....I think there opening parks on the nicest weekend possible, counting on failure and mob scenes..... so they can say , " we opened up parks and this is what happened, so now we have to close them again " .... hope I'm very wrong.....but think I'm gonna keep way and treat it like opening day trout season and take care of other stuff on the to do list...
I too have little faith in humanity. It is going to be a hot mess out there.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

While I agree it may be too soon, I also know that being outside in nature is important to the physical and mental health of a lot of people. I'll probably be out in the woods hiking with my fiancee one day this weekend, in a lesser known state park. Hoping the crowds won't be too bad, but if they are we're prepared to turn right around and go home.

As long as you're smart, maintain social distancing and act responsibly, you should be ok. Hopefully on these hiking trails there aren't too many people. I have the feeling the crowds will be at the bigger parks with fields, bathrooms, etc.

Hoping to get the kayak out this weekend too, social distancing at its finest! Might go to a state controlled ramp but have a few much lesser known options as well, so playing it by ear.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't think it is too soon, we do need to test waters and see what is safe. I would have liked to have rainy cold forecast for first few days of the parks opening though. The NJ weekend forecast of sunny and 70 will have more people outside and at parks than a nice misty rain. Hopefully it works out.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godrew1972 View Post
we do need to test waters and see what is safe.
You do that once you actually have enough tests - esp accurate antibody tests, and after you do random samplings through various populations so we have solid models to go on.

What you don't do is open things up and see if your hospitals get inundated with a second wave.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
As long as you're smart, maintain social distancing and act responsibly.
I don’t trust society to do that on a good day, let alone with what’s been going on.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995