NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Suitable Jigging Rod - All Purpose - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Suitable Jigging Rod - All Purpose

I am looking for a Fishing Rod (Spinning) which would be suitable for Jigging , I would be using this for Fluke Fishing, Striper Fishing and Black Fishing. after researching online i found the below specs for my Rod.

Rod Type : Spinning
Action : Medium Heavy
No of Pieces : 2
Rod Length : 6.6' to 7.2'
Lure Weight : 3/4 to 3 oz

I appreciate your valuable suggestions in order to buy a rod.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Suitable Jigging Rod - All Purpose

A few questions and some suggestions.

- What reel are you pairing the rod to? The reason I ask is because if you're paring it with a older and heavier reel, you'd sort of be wasting your money pairing it with the new lighter weight composite rods. You also want the rod to balance with the reel...

- What is your primary use for this set up? If it's jigging for tog the lighter it is weight wise the better and it should be matched with a light reel. Light is key with tog jigging since you'll often times be fishing with light jigs around 1 ounce or so and you won't get the feel you need with a heavier set up... The heavier set up will however work fine for jigging Fluke and Stripers where you're using heavier jigs.

- At the end of the day, if I'm in your shoes I would look to go light as possible, both the rod and reel.... The reason I say this is because with a light weight set up you can use it to jig tog and Fluke or Striper fish with it as well... That won't be the case if you go heavier which will be fine for Striper and Fluke but fall short when you're Tog Jigging.

- What is your budget?

Answer these questions and you'll get more pointed suggestions.

Typical tog jigging rod is a one piece, not a two piece rod, 7 foot Medium or Light but if you want to use it for Fluke and Striper jigging, I'd lean towards medium. The rod should also have a longer fore grip since you want to be able to get your hand up on it to lift the rod rather then just using your wrist. This also comes in handy when you're yo yo jigging off the bottom for Stripers or swinging a fish into the boat..

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-03-2019 at 07:20 AM..
Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Hi Gerry,

Thank You for replying to my post, I will try to answer your questions.

- What reel are you pairing the rod to? The reason I ask is because if you're paring it with a older and heavier reel, you'd sort of be wasting your money pairing it with the new lighter weight composite rods. You also want the rod to balance with the reel...

ANS:- I am trying to pair with Penn Fierce II 5000 Reel.I am open to changing the reel too..

- What is your primary use for this set up? If it's jigging for tog the lighter it is weight wise the better and it should be matched with a light reel. Light is key with tog jigging since you'll often times be fishing with light jigs around 1 ounce or so and you won't get the feel you need with a heavier set up... The heavier set up will however work fine for jigging Fluke and Stripers where you're using heavier jigs.

ANS:-Primary Use would be for Striper and Fluke, Tog would be occasional but not as frequent as Striper and Fluke.

- What is your budget?

ANS:-My Budget would be below $200
Old 12-03-2019, 03:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hello,

We build a variety of spinning rods that would do the things you've described. I see you said two-piece, but if you're flexible on that and can accept a one-piece rod, I'm sure we can set you up, and right at your budget.

Here is a link to a video on THE BEST INSTAGRAM PAGE ON THE PLANET (@kevinbogansrods) that shows one of our popular rods in action (thanks, Blackfish Bobby!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxeGKXg...d=1iiaqtz5rsga

Feel free to stop by or call to discuss details. We are open Mon-Sat, 9-4:30, closed on Sundays. We happen to be closed tomorrow, Wednesday 12/4, but we'll be back in action on Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191203-151058~2.jpg (14.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogan View Post
Hello,

We build a variety of spinning rods that would do the things you've described. I see you said two-piece, but if you're flexible on that and can accept a one-piece rod, I'm sure we can set you up, and right at your budget.

Here is a link to a video on THE BEST INSTAGRAM PAGE ON THE PLANET (@kevinbogansrods) that shows one of our popular rods in action (thanks, Blackfish Bobby!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxeGKXg...d=1iiaqtz5rsga

Feel free to stop by or call to discuss details. We are open Mon-Sat, 9-4:30, closed on Sundays. We happen to be closed tomorrow, Wednesday 12/4, but we'll be back in action on Thursday.
Hi Kevin, If the rod was a single piece setup my first go to guy would be You only , unfortunately i am looking for a 2 piece rod, which would fit in my car's trunk.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

At a loss here nsc since all the rods designed specifically for jigging are one piece...

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-09-2019, 01:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc_tpt View Post
Hi Kevin, If the rod was a single piece setup my first go to guy would be You only , unfortunately i am looking for a 2 piece rod, which would fit in my car's trunk.
Does your back seat fold down??
You can run the rod from the trunk up beside the passenger seat to the dash.
An 8 foot one piece rod fits in a VW Golf Sportwagen.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Penn Fierce 5000 will be ok for Fluke and Stripers but weighing in at almost 20 ounces, it will be a real challenge to use for jigging blackfish as light weight reels most use are 8 -10 ounces. 10-12 ounce difference may not sound like a lot but I can assure you it makes a big difference jigging with light weight jigs for Tog.

Pairing that reel with a light weight composite pole is not going to work out well...It won’t balance well and would be like having Ferrari and putting diesel truck engine in it....

So now comes your dilemma...Do you want to invest in a high quality light weight reel and rod that covers all your bases. Or, do you want to try and save some money and just get a pole to match up to your Penn reel?

If I’m in your shoes I bite the bullet and take the more expensive route and get something that I can use for Tog, Striper and Fluke and when I’m jigging for any of those species, I’m not wearing myself out when jigging all day with a heavier set up.

For a decent mid level light weight rod and reel combo you’re looking at 3 to $400. If you plan to fish a lot spend the money and you won’t regret it.

If you fish occasionally save your money knowing you’re going to be fishing with a heavy set up that matches your reel knowing it’s not going to cover all your bases and you could find a decent production rod for $100 to $150.

Which way are you leaning?

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-03-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Penn Fierce 5000 will be ok for Fluke and Stripers but weighing in at almost 20 ounces, it will be a real challenge to use for jigging blackfish as light weight reels most use are 8 -10 ounces. 10-12 ounce difference may not sound like a lot but I can assure you it makes a big difference jigging with light weight jigs for Tog.

Pairing that reel with a light weight composite pole is not going to work out well...It won’t balance well and would be like having Ferrari and putting diesel truck engine in it....

So now comes your dilemma...Do you want to invest in a high quality light weight reel and rod that covers all your bases. Or, do you want to try and save some money and just get a pole to match up to your Penn reel?

If I’m in your shoes I bite the bullet and take the more expensive route and get something that I can use for Tog, Striper and Fluke and when I’m jigging for any of those species, I’m not wearing myself out when jigging all day with a heavier set up.

For a decent mid level light weight rod and reel combo you’re looking at 3 to $400. If you plan to fish a lot spend the money and you won’t regret it.

If you fish occasionally save your money knowing you’re going to be fishing with a heavy set up that matches your reel knowing it’s not going to cover all your bases and you could find a decent production rod for $100 to $150.

Which way are you leaning?
Hi Gerry.. i would be fishing occasionally (due to my current job requirement) and most of the time i spend on party boats that was the reason i was not looking for an expensive setup.

Last edited by nsc_tpt; 12-04-2019 at 01:12 PM..