NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Freshwater boating? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-09-2020, 07:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Freshwater boating?

Haven't been able to get out a lot lately unfortunately, but have been preparing for my next addition, a Sea Nymph 14R a friend is giving me! He had gotten it for free from his old neighbor who moved down to FL and was upgrading, and it's been sitting in his garage since. I believe it has either an 8hp or 9.9hp Honda as well. I haven't even seen the thing yet, but I'm totally excited at the prospect of being able to get out on some of the bigger lakes in the state.

That said, I've really only gone out on freshwater boats a few times. Once with NJSquatch at the infamous 2019 Meet n Greet, once on SRR with a rented pontoon and a few times as a kid. Kayaking was always the thing we did on the water. I've already taken the 9 hour boaters safety course, but wanted to hear from some people with real experiences. What are the must have things on board outside of the obvious? Also, since I'll have a vessel under 16ft, i should be able to operate it with just a boaters safety certificate and not a full boating license right? I'm going to have to go to the DMV when it's time to register but im not looking forward to that as I've heard it can be a nightmare. Any tips would be appreciated! tight lines, hope everyone is healthy and doing well!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:21 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Freshwater boating?

Congrats on your new boat.

Just recently, I got an inflatable and a small motor for it. Went to MVC on Tuesday around noon time to register and people who were waiting in line from 6am got turned away. MVC said that they will only process 50 more people that day. The line was around the whole building. I guess I won't be registering my boat anytime soon. Sorry to bear a bad news. Better find a lake without park rangers to check your registration. :-)

Other than that, PFDs for each occupant is a must. We also carry whistle, flashlight and extra rope.

We have fished in Monksville and Pompton Lake a few times from our new boat and it was great. No need to bushwhack to find a good spot along the river bank.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

boat > 12' = titled vehicle. need to have the existing title signed over to you and pay ~$60 have the title transferred to your name. if there is not a current title available, current owner has to pay $60 for duplicate title to replace the lost one. if your buddy doesn't have the title and you can't contact his neighbor who moved you'll have to go through the lost/abandoned boat process.

motorized watercraft = needs registration numbers. anything with a motor is required to be registered in NJ. even a kayak or canoe which normally aren't titled or registered require reg numbers if you put a motor on it.

operating on freshwater = usually require a boat license, not just a safety certificate. the boat safety certificate is required of all operators of motorized watercraft in NJ and the boat license is required on non-tidal waters (freshwater) EXCEPT if the motor is < 1 hp, if the motor is a 12v electric, or if the boat is > 12' and the motor < 10 hp.

so you can skip the boat license, but you will have to title and register it. might as well just get the license too since you already have the BSC and have to go to MVC anyway.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
Congrats on your new boat.

Just recently, I got an inflatable and a small motor for it. Went to MVC on Tuesday around noon time to register and people who were waiting in line from 6am got turned away. MVC said that they will only process 50 more people that day. The line was around the whole building. I guess I won't be registering my boat anytime soon. Sorry to bear a bad news. Better find a lake without park rangers to check your registration. :-)

Other than that, PFDs for each occupant is a must. We also carry whistle, flashlight and extra rope.

We have fished in Monksville and Pompton Lake a few times from our new boat and it was great. No need to bushwhack to find a good spot along the river bank.
Yeah I heard the lines are wild. That's ok, I also still have to install the trailer hitch I got as well as pass the Boating exam, get the motor running (not sure when it was last used) and get the boat in ship shape. Excited to hit some of the lakes you mentioned in it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
boat > 12' = titled vehicle. need to have the existing title signed over to you and pay ~$60 have the title transferred to your name. if there is not a current title available, current owner has to pay $60 for duplicate title to replace the lost one. if your buddy doesn't have the title and you can't contact his neighbor who moved you'll have to go through the lost/abandoned boat process.

motorized watercraft = needs registration numbers. anything with a motor is required to be registered in NJ. even a kayak or canoe which normally aren't titled or registered require reg numbers if you put a motor on it.

operating on freshwater = usually require a boat license, not just a safety certificate. the boat safety certificate is required of all operators of motorized watercraft in NJ and the boat license is required on non-tidal waters (freshwater) EXCEPT if the motor is < 1 hp, if the motor is a 12v electric, or if the boat is > 12' and the motor < 10 hp.

so you can skip the boat license, but you will have to title and register it. might as well just get the license too since you already have the BSC and have to go to MVC anyway.
Noted. He has the title so shouldn't be too much of an issue to get it over to my name. I was reading about the registration process and figured i'd need to do all that since this will have the motor. I'll probably just end up getting the boating license too. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

a free boat with a honda engine? i need more friends like that.

don't forget about getting the trailer in your name...see requirements below...plan on making multiple trips to the DMV...the DMVs out west are less congested...

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/trailer.htm

Don't run the old gas if it has been sitting without a stabilizer added to it. I would change the lower end oil, motor oil, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

Reach out to the board if you are having any mechanical issues there are some wizards on here.

Last edited by NJSquatch; 07-09-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-09-2020, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
a free boat with a honda engine? i need more friends like that.

don't forget about getting the trailer in your name...see requirements below...plan on making multiple trips to the DMV...the DMVs out west are less congested...

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/trailer.htm

Don't run the old gas if it has been sitting without a stabilizer added to it. I would change the lower end oil, motor oil, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

Reach out to the board if you are having any mechanical issues there are some wizards on here.
Haha this friend is a father of my fiancee's childhood best friend. He doesn't use the boat and didn't want to see it waste away! I still haven't seen either the boat or motor in person so I'm hoping for the best but expecting to have to do some work on it.

Thanks for the info on the trailer registration, I am not sure if there is a title for that or not but I sure hope there is lol. Probably going to end up waiting a few weeks to start the DMV process, let the lines die down a bit.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Haven't been able to get out a lot lately unfortunately, but have been preparing for my next addition, a Sea Nymph 14R a friend is giving me! He had gotten it for free from his old neighbor who moved down to FL and was upgrading, and it's been sitting in his garage since. I believe it has either an 8hp or 9.9hp Honda as well. I haven't even seen the thing yet, but I'm totally excited at the prospect of being able to get out on some of the bigger lakes in the state.

That said, I've really only gone out on freshwater boats a few times. Once with NJSquatch at the infamous 2019 Meet n Greet, once on SRR with a rented pontoon and a few times as a kid. Kayaking was always the thing we did on the water. I've already taken the 9 hour boaters safety course, but wanted to hear from some people with real experiences. What are the must have things on board outside of the obvious? Also, since I'll have a vessel under 16ft, i should be able to operate it with just a boaters safety certificate and not a full boating license right? I'm going to have to go to the DMV when it's time to register but im not looking forward to that as I've heard it can be a nightmare. Any tips would be appreciated! tight lines, hope everyone is healthy and doing well!
Nice!! That is a great fishing machine. That was my first boat and I’m about to sell it. Many big fish landed and a lot of beer drank in it! Best of luck to you
Old 07-14-2020, 06:35 AM
Site Sponsor

Uh ohhhh here he comes! Congrats Brandon on the new ride... start saving for that I piolit Lol hey you need any help getting her setup or want me look over the motor I got you bud!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Nice!! That is a great fishing machine. That was my first boat and I’m about to sell it. Many big fish landed and a lot of beer drank in it! Best of luck to you
Thank you sir! Very excited to get it on the water, though it looks like it could be awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
Uh ohhhh here he comes! Congrats Brandon on the new ride... start saving for that I piolit Lol hey you need any help getting her setup or want me look over the motor I got you bud!
thanks man! I may take you up on that offer!! haha hopefully ill have it up and running before winter but we shall see!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Update! Got to see the boat today it's in great shape, needs some TLC but nothing serious. I was also didn't have my facts straight on the motor! It actually isn't a Honda, it's a 7.5HP Mercury, an 80s model i believe, but it's in great shape (at least on the outside). Some pics of the boat and trailer below, but the motor was in a cramped garage and i didn't get a photo of that.

Super excited about this project. Not expecting it to be on the water this summer, as the DMV process is going to be tough (no title for the trailer ) but I'm more than grateful that I'll have the opportunity at all!

I'll post more updates when I have em. Tight lines!