NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ever wonder what's going on under your tip-up..... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ever wonder what's going on under your tip-up.....

Thanks Mitch. My schedule just opened up during the week a little more. We'll have to get out there again.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I looked at the LX9 and almost pulled the trigger but the size stops me from the marcum. I use sonar on the ice not really a flasher guy altho I have one, I am looking at the aqua-vu I found a deal on a nice setup w dvr just not sure on the quality in real life and deep water that I usually fish. I see alot of them look good in less than 10 but what about 20-30fow? have u tried urs that deep and if so what do u think?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

These are all great products, no doubt!!!! The great thing about using them in Nj is that you get to see everything your not going to catch. That's the truth!!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
I looked at the LX9 and almost pulled the trigger but the size stops me from the marcum. I use sonar on the ice not really a flasher guy altho I have one, I am looking at the aqua-vu I found a deal on a nice setup w dvr just not sure on the quality in real life and deep water that I usually fish. I see alot of them look good in less than 10 but what about 20-30fow? have u tried urs that deep and if so what do u think?
Jimmy I haven't tried it in deeper water, although I plan on it over the next couple of weeks. I think deeper water might be a better picture because there's a lot of silt in the shallows from stirring up the bottom and the decaying weeds. The camera I have has a light, and my guess is it'd be decent quality. I would suggest getting a camera with a DVR, like the LX9. My unit is great, but I had to jump through hoops to get a recording device. Long story about analog A/V outputs and the fact that they no longer make camcorders with AV inputs. If you're gonna spring and have any desire to record, save yourself some trouble and get one with a built-in DVR. Trust me.

And I hear that Eddie. I'm trying to pick a day to find out how many musky take a look at my bait for everyone one that eats. I bet it's like 1,000 to 1.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yeah its amazing when u ice fish w sonar and see fish rise and stare at ur offering and they go back down, makes me wonder. Or even better when they stare at it and u dont feel anything and u lift and the fish is there, they were just sitting there mouthing ur bait/lure, its a totally diff game under the ice, very few aggressive fish this time of year. Like the video shows, a rly nicely presented live shiner just sitting there and a hungry fish comes in to check it out and then goes about his business, does it get any easier for these damn fish? LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Yeah its amazing when u ice fish w sonar and see fish rise and stare at ur offering and they go back down, makes me wonder. Or even better when they stare at it and u dont feel anything and u lift and the fish is there, they were just sitting there mouthing ur bait/lure, its a totally diff game under the ice, very few aggressive fish this time of year. Like the video shows, a rly nicely presented live shiner just sitting there and a hungry fish comes in to check it out and then goes about his business, does it get any easier for these damn fish? LOL
A couple weeks before, we had the camera out but no way to record yet. We noticed there was a pickerel staring at the shiner. We watched it for almost a minute before it ate the shiner. After it ate the shiner, it just sat there for another minute, without tripping the flag. We knew we had a fish on, but the flag hadn't gone up. Finally after a minute or so, it started swimming away, tripped the flag and we pulled it in. That was very interesting. So many times you go to pick up a tip-up and there's a fish on or you walk past one and the flag goes up. It's probably because a pickerel already has your bait but just hasn't swam off with it yet. Cool stuff. We were pissed we didn't have a recording of that.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Awesome video mark - super cool stuff... keep 'em coming
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks Jim.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very cool! I've been wanting to do this......... with my new hds 12. Just worried about the water clarity at 20 to 30 FOW around here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppy4jj4wfx4
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Ever wonder what's going on under your tip-up.....

Don't get me wrong, this is a great tool for all anglers. It just makes me a little crazy being able to see how many window shoppers there actually are. They come stare at the bait, leave, come back again and never take the bait. Had the oppurtunity to use a couple of these with friends. Man all the fish we COULD'VE caught was AMAZING!!!! You sit, you watch, you change baits 999 times and still all they do is stare at the bait or the camera. It's great, but mind boggling at the same time. Seeing how the fish react is the most amazing part of these systems to me. Fish in there natural habitat. Does it get any better????