NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Questions on shore line fishing at Round Valley - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Questions on shore line fishing at Round Valley

I would like to try shore fishing at Round Valley this coming week. I have never done this before and am not familiar with the lake. Can anyone tell me if there is skim ice now that would prevent me from fishing from the shore? Are the rainbow trout still active? Is there a best time to fish for them? Where are the best places to fish from shore? Any hints appreciated
Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Questions on shore line fishing at Round Valley

May have to check into a few things but the entrance at the main gate to the park seemed to offer the best bank fishing back by the "campers launch" That is the launch ramp for people camping but has great shoreline access, or at least it did before they dropped the water level. That access depends on park hours.
The other access is the main boat launch open 24/7. Best to go and do a day just walking around, pack the rods just in case.

You WILL catch trout from the bank, just don't wet a line for 30 minutes and say this place sux. Gotta put in HOURS if baiting and waiting, same goes for walking and casting lures.

I'm sure there will be more replies.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Questions on shore line fishing at Round Valley

I've done ok from shore at RVR in the past, but surprisingly not with trout. Gone 3 times in the winter looking for trout and was skunked on all three trips. that being said there are a lot of people who go out and get on some good fish. I hear the far side of the reservoir is a good place to catch em, but it takes quite the walk to get out there. The area around the boat launch is good as well, but the water level is very low so be careful with the mud. Lot's of people getting stuck in mud lately!

Shouldn't be any ice, RVR rarely freezes and with all the wind and warm temps we've had I doubt theres any at all. Like Andy said, you'll definitely have to put some time in!

Good luck and let us know how you do!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

have had good luck in the winter, casting streamers from shore, both sides of the lake from the boat launch, fish are cruising close to shore in the winter
Old 02-07-2020, 09:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
have had good luck in the winter, casting streamers from shore, both sides of the lake from the boat launch, fish are cruising close to shore in the winter
Me too. Though, mostly from the far eastern shore with a Yo Zuri Magnet Minnow. On multiple trips this winter I've landed 7 rainbows and had a few other hits.

I do much better when the res. is full. Also, catching lakers and an occasional skinny brown.