NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ice HAWG - 2/1/20 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-03-2020, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Ice HAWG - 2/1/20

Chrisper and I decided to the make the most of what little ice we had in NJ and fished hard on Saturday and Sunday.

The first lake on Saturday started off with a flurry of activity but then like a switch it went dead. Picked up and moved to another lake and had flags flying all day. Started off with a ton of nice sized pickerel.

I must have caught 10 pickerel when a flag goes up again. Approaching the tip-up the fish takes off just like all the other pickerel. Grab the line and the fish was heavy and fighting pretty good. It flashes by the hole and my stomach goes into my throat when I see the size of this fish. No way I am getting it through the 6" hole! After a couple more runs she settles down and I was able to lip her and squeeze her through the hole. She measured 21.5" and well over 5 pounds and qualifies for the NJ Skillful Angler program. One of the top 5 biggest bass I have caught and the biggest fish I have caught through the ice. (Ice Fishing Season made!)

After about 15 minutes I get another flag in the same hole. Same crazy run as I approach but this fish was fighting much harder and wanted nothing to do with the hole. Finally coaxed her out and it was a total surprise catch of a 16.5" smallie! This lake has a max depth of 7' and not sure how a smb made its way in here but I was psyched non the less.

After fishing sunup to sundown on Saturday we decided to sleep in a bit and got back on the lake around 11am on Sunday. The edges of the lake were very sketchy and my foot went through getting on. We almost pulled the plug but as usually we decided to push our luck. Tipups were flying just like on Saturday with a bunch of pickerel to 23.5" (Just shy of another skillful angler).

[

The jigging bite wasn't as good as Saturday but I did catch a hefty 12.5" northern peacock on a dot jig. Not sure how I landed this fish as it had me wrapped around the transducer 3 times.

As a squall moved in and we were out of bait we decided to start packing it in when another flag (of course the furthest away) pops and I pull in another hefty Greenie.

Getting off was an adventure. I went first and busted through just as I left my feet lunging toward the shore opening up a good size hole. Chrisper slides me my sled and I pull in with no problem. Then comes his smaller sled (jr sized) and I almost dunked it pulling it up the bank. Now it is Chripser's turn. Of course the maniac wants me to record the attempt but I opted to extent the arm. Not sure how he make it but he jumped just as the edge gave out and stumbled onto the bank. Everyone made it home dry!

I really hope to be able to make more ice fishing posts but I don't think mother nature is going to allow us to walk on water anymore in NJ this year. Made it out 4 times and had really good fishing on all trips. Might make a trip upstate if the ice survives the warm up. If not I am ready with the jig and bobber for spring fishing.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ice HAWG - 2/1/20

That LMB is definitely Squatch Size! Would love to see video of you trying to squeeze it through the hole in the ice.

Great job this short season with some very sketchy ice.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey it was good to see you guys on sat. Glad to hear that the move you did payed off so well.. The slime darts i can do without but those bass and that big perch were impressive way to make it happen. the bite was still slow on the first lake i was on when you left. i guess 8 days i have out is good for this tropical winter we are having I am not ready for that jig-n-bobber thing just yet. who knows maybe a miracle will happen and we get some more ice time .Still better then 2013 when we did not have any good ice.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Ice HAWG - 2/1/20

If the season is over you definitely ended it on a high note. Those are some beautiful Bass man! Congrats on the PB through the ice. Pretty sick catching. Gotta love it! YEA BUDDY!!!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

hawgs through the ice. glad you all stayed safe and glad the fish got to look at the other side of the ice
Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

this report is BS!!! first off, his wife caught that smallmouth!!! hahahaha

and secondly...how DID you fit that bass through your little hole? shady report i tell you...very shady!!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
this report is BS!!! first off, his wife caught that smallmouth!!! hahahaha

and secondly...how DID you fit that bass through your little hole? shady report i tell you...very shady!!
Fake News
Old 02-04-2020, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Congrats on the giant! Awesome catch!
Old 02-04-2020, 04:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Whooaa!! Awesome looking trip man!!! Congrats on all of them bro, all look like a blast to fight! We don't care how big your bass hole was, as long as you squeezed that lunker out is what matters! Great report bro, & pics to match!!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
Fake News
Lol