NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dicks and Efingers line spooling? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-20-2015, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Dicks and Efingers line spooling?

Think i need a top shot if i only plan on using it for top water?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Always spool your own reels... This way you can trust your knots, your spooling tension and make sure your backing is done right if using braid. Invest in one of the basic under $20 line spooling tools available from the major manufacturers and use it with common sense. I've been using a simple $8 Berkley one for years that has served me well. Just take note of what size spools they handle since some won't fit the larger 1/4 lb spools.

Topshot - Assuming we are talking about freshwater, which is what I think you're setting up for, braid is not the answer to everything, especially topwater (unless frogging). For most techniques, you'll find you get more bites going with mono or flourocarbon and reducing your hardware (snaps, swivels, etc. as much as possible based on technique and lure). For my freshwater rigs, not including my musky and pike gear which also use leaders, I only have 1 reel spooled with braid that I use for frogging, punching / super heavy weeds and occasionally if fishing around timber.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Effingers is a sponsor on this site and they do spool reels for you.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-20-2015, 09:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks. the braid will be used 95% for frogging. Appreciate that tips. With that said, should i still be tying a flouro leader for my frogs? And thanks Gerry. I was going to check it out, But I couldnt justify driving the 37 miles especially when dicks has buy any lure get another half off in addition to 10 dollars off $50 and an additional $5 reward for next visit. I will definitely be visiting efingers during the season.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you look farther down you will see Efingers is having a sale on line off bulk spools and spooling for free.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Since i bought a spool of braid and flouro, dicks also spooled up 2 other reels with bulk for free. Like I said its not because I chose not to go there, just a little too far.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
Thanks. the braid will be used 95% for frogging. Appreciate that tips. With that said, should i still be tying a flouro leader for my frogs?

For frogging it's not really necessary, just remember to ease up a bit on the hook sets since there is no stretch in the line in that case.

Question - when Dicks spooled the braid on your baitcasters, did they give you a short backing of mono with a uni to uni knot to the braid?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They did not do it at dicks. Guys couldnt figure out how to spool a left handed baitcaster so i didnt let them experiment too much lol. I was going to do some mono backing, but than read it also works to put down a piece of electrical or painters tape. Any recommendations? Im gonna put on the whole spool of braid on anyway so cost efficiency doesn't matter
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Tape will work also, many people go that route. My friends that use tape suggest the 3M #2242 rubber electrical tape but I'm sure others work fine. I personally use mono because you can really cinch the knot down against the spool and I don't have to worry about any gummy residue on the spool or the tapes adhesion to the spool failing (not that I've seen it happen). If the spool has those little wiffle holes in the center you can even tie through those with your terminal knot and not have to worry about tape or mono.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That's what I planned to do but I wasn't sure if i still needed tape. You think if i tie directly through the spool I wont have to worry?