NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tog Rod - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tog Rod

I took an old cue stick from Brazicki's Tavern in Jersey City. Put three guides on it and hose clamped a squidder to it. Best rod I ever used.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I took an old cue stick from Brazicki's Tavern in Jersey City. Put three guides on it and hose clamped a squidder to it. Best rod I ever used.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Bobby if its from Brazicki's its probably vintage and worth a pretty penny! Please clean the blood off the butt sections though before applying epoxy!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Site Sponsor

Brazicki's Tavern in Jersey City! I've been there!!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ah yes... My hometown...Jersey City....That's where I learned to catch Tog through the sewer holes.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

T hat diagram is not 100% accurate. A true slow rod will bend fur there down the blank. That looks like it's been stretched or modified maybe.

I like slow rods for tog fir the same reasons that Kevin mentions. I also like a composite rod. I have watched too many graphite explode when snagged on a wreck. Using braid with a composite is plenty sensitive enough.

Spiral wrapped rods are excellent for bottom fishing. They have a better fit here than jigging like many use them for.

Many options out there. I like 7'6" myself. It gives me room to find more voids and holes. We have built all kinds but when a customer is asking me to suggest a rod...... composite with a slower taper. Fast tips miss fish for the average fisherman.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
T hat diagram is not 100% accurate. A true slow rod will bend fur there down the blank. That looks like it's been stretched or modified maybe.

I like slow rods for tog fir the same reasons that Kevin mentions. I also like a composite rod. I have watched too many graphite explode when snagged on a wreck. Using braid with a composite is plenty sensitive enough.

Spiral wrapped rods are excellent for bottom fishing. They have a better fit here than jigging like many use them for.

Many options out there. I like 7'6" myself. It gives me room to find more voids and holes. We have built all kinds but when a customer is asking me to suggest a rod...... composite with a slower taper. Fast tips miss fish for the average fisherman.
Tom, cant agree more "Fast tips miss fish" They already know you are there as soon as you lift up on a fast taper rod.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Site Sponsor

Bah... Why do you guys waste your time on tog when there are stripers to be caught ????
(609) 870- 4592
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Site Sponsor

I just like throwing gasoline on fires !
(609) 870- 4592
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogan
Tom, cant agree more "Fast tips miss fish" They already know you are there as soon as you lift up on a fast taper rod.
Absolutely Kevin.... As I have said in the past....I am still using a Fish Poison Rod on many trips. I send several guys down/up to you for them. One of the better Tog Rods that I have used. I carry 2 rods on every trip and one is from Kevin Bogan. How's that for advertising.......for my " competition"?????? Ha ha.... ( I have admitted to my Fish Poison Rod many times in public too ). I find many guys on the boat get a real laugh out of it...... but the truth is the truth.....