NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan River/ Fish With Stripes 5/16 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Raritan River/ Fish With Stripes 5/16

After hearing the rain last night I knew today would be my chance to take advantage. Couldn't get a striper last year but I got em today at the falls in the white water. Fished the murky river from 11am to 4pm without stopping, around 1230 I got hammered by a striper, big fish, drag rippin! He hit a 6 inch fire tiger bomber. Awesome fight in the high water, fought the fish for about 15 minutes, know way was I losing this one. Got em on the rocks took a pic, measurement and weighed him with my little 14 lb walmart scale. 34 inch keeper, YEA BUDDY!!!! My 14 lb scale maxed out so ill say this Striper was about 18 lbs. Anyway kept casting and casting without stopping, next fish on didn't happen until 3, another Striper, hit in the white water, 6 inch yellow and white bomber. Not a keeper but a good feisty 24 inch slot fish. I really miss those slot fish. Hell of a day on the mighty Raritan! Somebody made a cameo today, Catfishonthelake, Mark, he showed up around 1 or so dressed to impress on a extended lunch break. Within the first 5 or 10 casts he hooks a keeper on his 7 ft st croix. Drags rippin, reel might be a tad too small for this fish. There he goes down river up against the bushes and boom snaps off! Bummer, sorry Mark, I know you would of landed that fish if you had a bigger reel with you!! Chaosstarter showed up around 2 or so, talked with him for a while, nice to meet you buddy!!! Hope more fish showed up.... Anyway thats my report, go get em fellas!!!! Need more rain!!! TIGHT LINES!!! YEA BUDDY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07634.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	48115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07635.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	48116  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Raritan River/ Fish With Stripes 5/16

Nice job today Eddie. It's always good to put a face with the screen names. I had a bite but it head shook me off without ever seeing it. Made a few donations today and called it quits.

One day, I'll catch something in this river....
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Raritan River/ Fish With Stripes 5/16

Nice job on the CPR !! Got the word so I headed down river below Queens Bridge, 3 hours, not even a bump !!! Plenty of people LIVING underneath that bridge. Got pulled over in South Bound Brook, having a CDL and a clean driving record does help Great report !!!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
maddhatterr

Had a couple hook ups myself this mornin around 8......hit the river this evening around 7 a thought i was at a different river.....water dropped two feet easy.....so I made my donations once agian to the river and called it a day also......wondering if the tide would have any affect on the river when its running so high that far up stream?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It was good seeing you Eddie. We should hang more often. Wish I had bigger gear in my car. At least I got the rod bent though, but for once in my life I wish I would have hooked a smaller fish. Better than sittin' at the desk.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice fish man! I must have just left as you were getting there. I was there from about 9-11ish. No luck with the Bass, but I got myself a decent 'eye. I heard stories of another keeper that was caught earlier in the day also.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanx fellas! Yesterday was a great day. Had to chuck lures for 5 hours straight to get those 2 Stripers!!! If it rained last night I would be heading down again today but that water is probably down to its normal level already. TIGHT LINES!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice fish it pays to put the time in,I hit it this morning before work and yes levels are close to normal but still muddy-no hits-no runs-no errors,gues I'll have to wait for the next rain.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I also give kudos for those down river that seem to make the shad and striper run possible. Like I said, ALOT of people are working on this river.

http://www.edisonwetlands.org/about/...legal-program/