NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

night shift on the cong - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default night shift on the cong

I went to my usual spot on the cong last night got out on the water about 7:00pm and started out with a jig-n-bobber rig to see if any thing was interested and the rockys were playin nice. I caught 12 of them on a rufus jr with a gulp minnow about 18" under the bobber even got a nice sized sunnie as well. then as it got dark switched up to the swimin image to start playin with the waldos. just after it got dark i hooked my first and only of the nite a 21" fish. then went to the top water Spittin image and got a 25" hybrid the wind was a bit of a pain in the ass all night you could not see or really hear your lure on the water, when the hybrid hit i thought i was in some of that weed mat that was floating around but the drag and the head shakes let me know that it was not weeds. I moved around a bit but did not get any more action and the wind got worse so i called it at 2:00am. the herring were dancing here and there but not that much and the fish were not smackin the top that much, the wind might of had effect on that. the water was 70 deg with partly cloudy skies the half moon was in and out at times but when the wind picked up the clouds were gone. all fish were released to fight another day.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: night shift on the cong

Nicely done, nice assortment of catches you got there. And 25 inches is a hefty wiper. Herring should be doing the wild thing all over the place by now.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 AM
dakota560

Alex......way to grind it out. Weeds this year, both surface and subsurface, seem significantly more of a problem. Have you noticed that and if so what do you attribute it to.

Herring run seems to have started later and fading faster this year as well. Don't have nearly the time on the lake you do but curious if you agree. If so, what would you attribute it to? Certain areas loaded with spawning herring last year for a month had a quick shot which never seem to materialize and lately seem devoid of any activity. Could be wind, weeds, volatile temperaturs this year etc. don't really know but curious if you've noticed the same and if so you're thoughts.

Great meeting you the other night, best of luck and be safe out there.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: night shift on the cong

What’s up Badger? I was out there looking for ya a couple times. Sounds like a fun night out there with some fish caught. A 25 inch Hybrid is a beauty! YEA BUDDY!!!
Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Alex......way to grind it out. Weeds this year, both surface and subsurface, seem significantly more of a problem. Have you noticed that and if so what do you attribute it to.

Herring run seems to have started later and fading faster this year as well. Don't have nearly the time on the lake you do but curious if you agree. If so, what would you attribute it to? Certain areas loaded with spawning herring last year for a month had a quick shot which never seem to materialize and lately seem devoid of any activity. Could be wind, weeds, volatile temperaturs this year etc. don't really know but curious if you've noticed the same and if so you're thoughts.

Great meeting you the other night, best of luck and be safe out there.
I think that the weak winter with little to no ice let the weeds get more sun and in turn they got an early start. with all the boats in shallow coves chopping up the weeds and the wind blowing them all over the place is making it difficult to fish both on the surface and just bellow. The herring are not that active at the times they should be not sure what that is all about and the waldos and hybrids are not smashing the surface like they did last year. As for the temps they are not normal for may, i can not remember having snow on the ground in may and the cold air that we had in the beginning of may this might have an effect on the time they spawn. i am not giving up hope yet just have to keep after them. With this thing they call work it is difficult to fish all night during the week so i hope i don't miss a small window of opportunity to cash in on a good nite bite. I went by the spot you were when i met you and the wind was pounding that area so i went to a different spot and missed a fish that blew up on a zara spook with all the wind it was tough to time the hook set. hope to see you again tight lines
Old 05-31-2020, 05:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
What’s up Badger? I was out there looking for ya a couple times. Sounds like a fun night out there with some fish caught. A 25 inch Hybrid is a beauty! YEA BUDDY!!!
It is tough to spot a small canoe tied to the shore on CTP in the dark
Old 05-31-2020, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
It is tough to spot a small canoe tied to the shore on CTP in the dark
Not that tough!!!!! I almost snagged your canoe with a plug last June in the same spot. Hahahaha! Ima catch ya pal!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Not that tough!!!!! I almost snagged your canoe with a plug last June in the same spot. Hahahaha! Ima catch ya pal!
oh yea i thought that was someone else lol happens a lot there hope to see ya out there tight lines eddie
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 PM
dakota560

Place we met it's either matted up with weeds with herring and fish popping or no weeds and devoid of herring and predators. Surface weeds this time of year versus last are a lot higher so conditions have become tough but still battling it out.

Personally in my limited time chasing walleye I think it's as you said a combination of factors starting with a mild winter compounded by an April that felt more like February. It impacted the perch spawn, the crappie spawn and even the bass spawn. Haven't even been up there this year but have read reports the shad run on the Big D hasn't been the best either. Snow and frost alerts in April don't bode well for spring fisheries especially when temperatures in March were more like May's weather. Fish are still there and have to feed so just need to figure it out.

Good luck and keep a close eye out for Eddie!
Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Site Sponsor

Nice night out badger, 👍🎣👍
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423