NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Last PR report - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Last PR report

Fished full day and completed my mission of walking the entire length of the PR from the Essex/Morris bridge to Two Bridges. Took 16 years
Caught my first ever white perch on the PR and other stuff
Officially retired from bank walking after encountering two bears today who scared the crap out of me many miles from anywhere
I don't think I could ever feel safe again back in the heart of darkness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	88950  
Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Last PR report

Interesting. I've never seen a white perch on the Passaic either, although they are a staple on the Raritan.

I always assumed you were Asian because your username "Suntzu" sounds Asian. But from that picture, you don't appear to be oriental.

You're going to be seeing a lot more of the bears for a while as they enter their hyperphagia phase when they binge ravenously trying to put on enough fat to survive hibernation.

Last edited by Eskimo; 09-04-2015 at 06:41 AM..
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's scary as hell dude. Did you evoke knowledge from the art of war and evade?

Looks like a healthy white there. How big was that spinnerbait?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Asian I am not. Suntzu is a famous 5th century general who wrote the book "Art of War" relevant to my profession
I have seen bears several times over the years. Typically they act like deer and run, stop and look back, and run some more. These were different. One was standing 20 feet behind me and huffed/barked like a dog. Got my attention. Made a commotion and he just stood up. I move around him back to the trail when another appeared. They followed me for 1/2 mile Never closed to more than 50 feet but we're following me. Made my very uncomfortable and I had the pepper spray and machete at the ready. As I said I don't think I could feel comfortable alone way back there again
Fishing was good
Spinner bait was big 4 inch willow leaf with added Colorado blade looking for big pike

Last edited by Suntzu; 09-03-2015 at 09:37 PM..
Old 09-03-2015, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Eskimo. I now learned that I'm not fat, I've just entered myhyphperphagia phase!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Last PR report

Congrats on a mission complete !!! See any dead fish in your travels ??
Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Should report to state any encounter like that. Bears that aren't afraid and follow are dangerous to everybody. I had one follow then chase me @ Allamuchy st park about ten yrs ago It got within spitting distance before I clapped and screamed at it. It backed off enough for me to get back to road. Even then it still stared at me paws on guardrail while cars drove by. Not fun.. I didn't go back there for a number of years.
It wasn't no curious cub either. At least 300 lbs if not more. 99% of encounters they run or walk away including my own yard many times.

1877WARNDEP
Old 09-04-2015, 07:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXlyakattacker View Post
Thanks Eskimo. I now learned that I'm not fat, I've just entered myhyphperphagia phase!
lol! I meant to write "hyperphagia", but I drank too many Dogfish Heads yesterday evening and couldn't spell.

Be careful out there. And being in the liberal-fascist state of New Jersey, you're verboten to arm yourself for self defense. Even bear spray is illegal.

The only legal mace is a container holding less than three-quarters of an ounce.

https://www.cabelas.com/assets/produ...regulation.pdf

Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I carry a whistle around my neck in areas where odds are higher I may run into one. Either the loud noise will scare it away or piss it off.

Watch your step out there too. Most bears nap during the midday hours(especially hot weather). A favorite spot is along or just under a large fallen tree. We have many of those around since Sandy. Last winter a hunter stepped on a mama bear and it bit his foot. he had to shoot it. It had four cubs: two were accidentally smothered by the mother, one died in animal rehab and the other is doing ok. Walk around, not over!

Good sized one killed last April on a Warren County Rd. No blood. Just looks like its sleeping.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/ind..._on_warre.html

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 09-04-2015 at 08:21 AM..
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They were definitely sleeping when I happened upon them and it pissed them off hence the huffing because I was oblivious. My guess is they were sleeping in a shaded depression covered by fallen trees right next to me. They were not aggressive but definitely not afraid of me at all and seemed to follow me to make sure I was leaving where they were bedded down so they could go back to sleep
Never walked backwards so fast for so long while screaming that there would be no winners if they came at me

Saw no dead fish in this stretch, water is crazy low
Will now look to tackle the big P and spend more time in the yak before surf fishing season starts