NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed??? - Page 8 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-09-2016, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed???

Just got back from the local stock pond. Maybe 6 fish caught that I saw for maybe 25 people spread all around. Even saw a couple canoes out in the middle only get 1. Tough morning and super cold but not nearly as bad as the weatherman said. I may try again tomorrow but until there's some actual sun I don't see it picking up.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Just got back from the local stock pond. Maybe 6 fish caught that I saw for maybe 25 people spread all around. Even saw a couple canoes out in the middle only get 1. Tough morning and super cold but not nearly as bad as the weatherman said. I may try again tomorrow but until there's some actual sun I don't see it picking up.
Sounds almost exactly like my day. I started out at Echo Lake Park, saw maybe 15 trout caught by 30 or so anglers over 2.5 hours. I could only manage 3 small pickerel before I finally gave up. I swung by Franklin Lake just to see what was going on, I nailed a nice perch on a jerkbait, that was it. Left for home once the sleet started up heavy.

Here's a vid from Echo Lake, for those more interested in pickerel than trout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csy1TC5F74w
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-09-2016, 02:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hit a local pond around 10am. 20 anglers with only a few between them. Started with pink garlic salmon eggs retrieved super slow with just a couple small split shot. Consistently hooked up. Caught 14 and left with my limit in about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I managed to catch a few at Seely's Pond.
I saw maybe 40 trout caught in the first two hours, with a few guys limiting-out and going home in the first half-hour.

Standing in cold, squishy mud when it's 30 degrees out isn't ideal fishing conditions, but my little bottle of Wild Turkey 101 made the conditions more tolerable.

Fish & Game usually sends a census taker out to the pond on opening day to see how we did, but I didn't see one this year.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good thing i did ok this morning. The afternoon was a bust...making things worse was the guy next to me caught 5 fish in maybe half an hour using the same bait i was..
Old 04-09-2016, 04:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

I managed to catch a few at Seely's Pond.
I saw maybe 40 trout caught in the first two hours, with a few guys limiting-out and going home in the first half-hour.

Standing in cold, squishy mud when it's 30 degrees out isn't ideal fishing conditions, but my little bottle of Wild Turkey 101 made the conditions more tolerable.

Fish & Game usually sends a census taker out to the pond on opening day to see how we did, but I didn't see one this year.

I stopped by Nomahegan around 10 am and there was a census taker there. Any way to find out how many of the stockies were caught? In particular, how many of the broodstock are still out there for those of us who didn't get out today? My guess is quite a few as I didn't see too much action or many full stringers. The fish I did see caught were very small.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Killed it on the rockaway. Between me and 6 other guys we caught over 50. I landed 9 and many other hits. Spinners took most, repalas and powerbait did work.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed???

Sounds like a bunch of guys did well from what I'm hearing via text/phone and seeing on this forum. Way to go to the guys that caught some fish. AWESOME!!! It's just the beginning of another banner season here in the beautiful state of NJ!

YEA BUDDY!!!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
I stopped by Nomahegan around 10 am and there was a census taker there. Any way to find out how many of the stockies were caught? In particular, how many of the broodstock are still out there for those of us who didn't get out today? My guess is quite a few as I didn't see too much action or many full stringers. The fish I did see caught were very small.
I don't know. But there are more stockings scheduled in the near future:
Here is the stocking Schedule: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtstk16.htm
Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Banned

Me and my cousin slammed the stream early this morning. We got there around 4am and we were the only people there all day once 8am and beyond rolled around. I limited out caught 6 Rainbows in an hour, cousin got 4 bows so it was a banner opening day for the family.