NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tough Troutin - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Tough Troutin

Today would’ve been my dads 55th birthday so to honor him my childhood friend and I went out searching for some trout. All spots we went to we had never been to before, so it was a cool day of scenery for sure.

First we hit a WTS where we hiked for a long time and had some follows on plugs. I was able to catch a 5 inch brook trout on a trout magnet, but other than that we didn’t have much luck. Where we were it was actively snowing, our guides were icing up too.

Next we hit a bunch of different sections of the Paulins Kill. The water was very high, flooded in some spots, and moving very fast. We both hooked up with a couple of rainbows but weren’t able to get any to shore, all popped off in the fast current.

It was a great day in NJ regardless and a great way to honor my dad. Can’t wait to go back to the spots we went to today when the water is a bit lower. Tight lines all!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Tough Troutin

Any pics ? Was the water muddy on the Paulinskill ? Winter trout fishing can be tough, if I landed one trout on a January day it was a good trip.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tough Troutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Any pics ? Was the water muddy on the Paulinskill ? Winter trout fishing can be tough, if I landed one trout on a January day it was a good trip.
The brookie was a quick release (aka I got it to my hand and bobbled it back into the pool ), so no pic of that, but here are some cool icicles!

The pauliskill wasn’t muddy, but it wasn’t super clear either. In most spots I could see bottom, but in the deepest areas I couldn’t.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98DC0089-3F13-4F26-9F81-FFAB777F6AE9.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	130723  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Tough Troutin

Wow, some rough terrain !
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Regardless of the fishing action, great way to honor your dad.

Dave
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice brookie, respectable to quick release em. I'm wondering what is best to not lose fish when the current is pulling then away, already happened to me a few times this season.

Think it has to do with increased force from current + trout's inital aggressive head shakes. Might need to let drag down and walk the trout down to calmer water.

http://www.current-works.com/fly-fis...-landing-fish/
This article titled it the kiss off death where it's due to the fish being able to shake it's head while out if the water.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Wow, some rough terrain !
Seriousy! We only hiked a total of around 5 miles at the first place, mainly because we were so tired from climbing over all the downed trees!! Im glad i had a buddy with me for this one, if i had gotten hurt out there with no cell service I would've been screwed!!!