NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-04-2019, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB

Nothing else has even come close, regardless of price.. For me its always been a better lure in rocky rivers than in lakes, but I have caught more walleyes on these cheapo lure with plain unpainted jig heads than any other lure by probably a 10- 1 margin... Up here in NY state, a lot of guys say the same thing. Its all many of us use.. the tourists use the high priced stuff..

Only reason for this thread is that I see very few NJ guys talking about using these simple lures for walleye or SMB, and was just giving a heads up... 3 inch, chartreuse only.. I have caught fish on other colors at times, but good old bright chartreuse is way above all of them, works in clear or dirty water, mid day or midnight. Think about them next trip to the river for walleyes or bass- bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	130598  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB

I 2nd this little gem Bob!!!been using them for a while as well and used to include them in my reports but nobody listened. Hahahaha!!! It’s a perfect plastic for sure.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB

I am a jig and grub fanatic too, however rarely use the chartreuse. Will now, hahaha. My top 2 grubs are Berkley power grub pumpkin and zoom fat albert pumpkin.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyL View Post
I am a jig and grub fanatic too, however rarely use the chartreuse. Will now, hahaha. My top 2 grubs are Berkley power grub pumpkin and zoom fat albert pumpkin.
Jimmy,Both of which are GOOD lures,, However, some day fish them alongside a 3 inch Mr twister chartreuse, and see what happens.. Now, SMB love crayfish we all know that, so in some waters it may be a wash between the natural crayfish color twisters and bright chartreuse, but in my experience its not that common.. however for walleyes, there is simply something that triggers strikes in that bright chartreuse that other colors can't match.. They are the go to for a lot of walleye fishermen up here..
I can't tell you how many times in the susquehanna I have been the only one in a group catching walleyes using cheap generic chartreuse twisters... btw, honorable mention goes to FinS/Sluggo 3 inch in shad color.. Kind of a subdued opaque silver on top, with black bottom.... VERY effective as well, as is the FinS/Sluggo in chartreuse. Still think the twister tail is considerable more effective though.. bob
Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think last summer there was a thread about SMB lures, someone mentioned chart grubs and I still have a 50 pack from Venom lures. I also pair them with 1/8 oz unpainted jigs too. I did good with them. Need more time once it gets warmer for smallies.

I will use the zoom fat albert chartreuse + pepper version on a 3/8 oz jig head for high water river bass too.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The curly tail grub is my go-to for almost every species. My favorite color is white, second favorite is black, chartreuse comes in third.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
The curly tail grub is my go-to for almost every species. My favorite color is white, second favorite is black, chartreuse comes in third.
Thats so strange.. I can't buy a hit on white .. Black is meh for SMB for me.. Catches a few, but chart. outfishes it probably 5 to 1.. White twisters for me are ok for Lakers, but bass and walleyes,- never- I hate them, can't buy a hit with white.. To be fair, its a confidence thing.. I have no confidence in yellow,white, black, red, and can't get a hit with them, but have a lot in chart, brown,silver/black, motor oil, and do well.. Lots of guys do like white and yellow, and do great with them.. not me...bob
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

the 1 inch white twister tails by Mister twister have caught me a lot of wild browns.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
the 1 inch white twister tails by Mister twister have caught me a lot of wild browns.
yep. Not a lot of people realize trout hit them very well...
They are getting tough to find but if you can dig some up, Mr Twister makes tiny twister tails in a kind of very bright red/hot pink color, or bright trans orange. Trout hit them very well as do Crappies, perch, Rock Bass, Bluegills,Pickerel,SMB etc
Funny- for panfish and trout, chartreuse has never been all that great for me, but those real bright red/pink/orange colors have... btw, try and find tiny gold colored jig heads.. Very good for trout when using twister tails.. bob
Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
yep. Not a lot of people realize trout hit them very well...
They are getting tough to find but if you can dig some up, Mr Twister makes tiny twister tails in a kind of very bright red/hot pink color, or bright trans orange. Trout hit them very well as do Crappies, perch, Rock Bass, Bluegills,Pickerel,SMB etc
Funny- for panfish and trout, chartreuse has never been all that great for me, but those real bright red/pink/orange colors have... btw, try and find tiny gold colored jig heads.. Very good for trout when using twister tails.. bob
Pink and translucent/bright orange is a great color for wild trout too. I think if you get a bright color that looks like an egg you'll do well.

A bit off topic but has anyone used those hook guards for jigs? It's this piece of plastic meant to be slipped on the jig then to the hook. Seems effective when I'm using cheap unpainted jigs.