NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Braid for trout in streams - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-06-2020, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Braid for trout in streams

Since I fish almost everyday presently for trout , can’t help but notice a lot more braid in some streams. One day last week I pulled up a piece about 50’ long and others 1/2 that length .
Not sure what the logic is using braid for trout , leaving it in streams is dangerous for animals and fishermen etc . So for unknown reason you fish braid for trout that’s fine but if you break off please get it out of the stream if possible !
That goes for mono as well , it’s easy to roll up and put in vest pocket to dispose of later keeps everyone safe .
Old 05-06-2020, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Braid for trout in streams

i imagine everyone on this forum is aware to never litter like that. Definitely a pet peeve of mine to find clumps of line like that, especially when it's the strongest braid conceivable! i gather as much loose line I find like it's my mom's spaghetti. Sometimes find the "meatball" at the end... a nice rapala to add to the collection
Old 05-06-2020, 06:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Braid for trout in streams

Problem with braid is it won't break. Many don't use leaders but tie direct, most just cut the line on braid.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Problem with braid is it won't break. Many don't use leaders but tie direct, most just cut the line on braid.
True
If they had a dowel or thick stick they can wrap it around a dozen times and pull Just like bottom fishing in the ocean.
More times than just losing your lure you bend the hooks and don’t leave all that line in the water making an environmental hazard.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Uhhhhggggg! I pulled 1000 yards of braid out of the Raritan Tuesday night. Can’t stand it when I’m trying to cast to a sweet spot and get hung up. Definitely a pain for animals and anglers. Never used it in a Trout stream, never will.